Randeez 2012 Budget Yukon Denali Build (stick on hood scoops galore)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to see an update. I've been staying out here so I don't jinx anything. It seemed to have been running good so I was happy with the lack of updates.

Also glad to see you back at it with the improvements. I wondered how long you'd deal with it being "turned down". It's always hard to keep it down on power after all the money spent and you know what it's capable of.

I hope you get it exactly how you want it

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
pos.

i swapped the AWD case back into it, its making some sort of really bad grinding sound now as you transition from under power to coasting or vice-versa. under power no noise, full coast no noise. right off the bat i thought it was the front diff just given the nature of the transition but figured i would try a few things first before rebuilding it or swapping it :emotions122:

maybe front diff just rocking around a little hitting the crossmember - i added an extra support still makes same noise i'll leave the support anyway but no bueno

maybe wheel bearings shot sound should be more constant but figured worth a shot - jacked up front end, spun, tires dont rock up/down or left/right any little movement they have is the whole spindle and thru the tie rod end. and also didnt do it driving around 2wd for the last couple months but figured it was worth a shot. and i dont feel it thru steering wheel so i think im striking it off the list

it never maid the noise before being awd - but figured riding around on the coast side of the ring/pinion couldve messed them up some :shrug: i will probably see if i can just find a whole other front diff. i think i only paid like 250 shipped for the one thats in there now. also checked fluid in case i completely forgot i drained it with the intention of changing it and never did - but it was still up to the fill hole.

other option is if the transfer case itself making the noise?? it really sounds like its coming from the front but could be misleading.

i dont feel like swapping the front diff or the transfer case at the moment since i just put tcase back in! but im back to not really wanting to drive it making the noise.

i can pull the front driveshaft easy enough, that would sort of put it back in 2wd and if it is the front diff, it wouldnt make noise anyway as gears would stay on coast side (which shouldnt make noise since ive driven it in 2wd and no noise before) BUT the front output of tcase would be unloaded anyway.
so if it all goes away it doesnt necessarily point at one or the other.
if it still makes the noise i would assume it would be the awd case (as ive driven it 2wd with other tcase=no noise)

in which case, i would put the np261 back in? if i had any idea it was going to do this shit. it would be a lot better to kick the 261 in 4hi and drive that would be the best was to determine front diff was actually the problem.

Last edited:

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pos.

i swapped the AWD case back into it, its making some sort of really bad grinding sound now as you transition from under power to coasting or vice-versa. under power no noise, full coast no noise. right off the bat i thought it was the front diff just given the nature of the transition but figured i would try a few things first before rebuilding it or swapping it :emotions122:

maybe front diff just rocking around a little hitting the crossmember - i added an extra support still makes same noise i'll leave the support anyway but no bueno

maybe wheel bearings shot sound should be more constant but figured worth a shot - jacked up front end, spun, tires dont rock up/down or left/right any little movement they have is the whole spindle and thru the tie rod end. and also didnt do it driving around 2wd for the last couple months but figured it was worth a shot. and i dont feel it thru steering wheel so i think im striking it off the list

it never maid the noise before being awd - but figured riding around on the coast side of the ring/pinion couldve messed them up some :shrug: i will probably see if i can just find a whole other front diff. i think i only paid like 250 shipped for the one thats in there now.

other option is if the transfer case itself making the noise?? it really sounds like its coming from the front but could be misleading.

i dont feel like swapping the front diff or the transfer case at the moment since i just put tcase back in! but im back to not really wanting to drive it making the noise.

i can pull the front driveshaft easy enough, that would sort of put it back in 2wd and if it is the front diff, it wouldnt make noise anyway as gears would stay on coast side (which shouldnt make noise since ive driven it in 2wd and no noise before) BUT the front output of tcase would be unloaded anyway.
so if it all goes away it doesnt necessarily point at one or the other.
if it still makes the noise i would assume it would be the awd case (as ive driven it 2wd with other tcase=no noise)

in which case, i would put the np261 back in? if i had any idea it was going to do this shit. it would be a lot better to kick the 261 in 4hi and drive that would be the best was to determine front diff was actually the problem.
:console:

OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea...and then theres the possibility i swap the 261 back in, try 4wd and it turns out it is the front diff :anitoof:
i guess at that point i could just drive it around in 2wd indefinitely, the little bit of time id have it in 4wd wouldnt matter so much

both roads kinda lead to putting the 261 back in, so i guess that be the direction at this point. if it is the front diff i can just rip it all out and roll around 2wd in the mean time till i feel like fixing it. fml

Last edited:
OP
OP
randeez

randeez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i tore it back down to the engine last night.
the shorty headers arent really going to work that well, they are too short to run with the low mount accessories. one header dumps into the ac compressor and the other sort of works but is pointed at the frame and just misses the steering shaft attachment.
im not really opposed to getting and using some high mount accessories. but if i need to go that route i am going to see if the "up and forward" as down and forward headers would work as i still think they are better for flow.
noticed i had a plug wire not making good contact on the plug on cyl 4 so it prob wasnt firing all that well.

going to swap the tcase back just aint up for working on my back at the moment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu