Ran out of Caprice 9C1-LT1s, replaced with an old Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Well hell, welcome to the forum.

You couldn't pick a better rig than the NBS from 2000 to 2006. Likely has the cable actuated throttle instead of the drive by wire set up, like mine. I got lucky and won a "traditional tune" from Black Bear Performance recently and love it. It was a seamless upgrade and love it.

By the way, as has been said here before, "post pics or it didn't happen!

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll understand if y'all think my GMT821 is a figment of my imagination til I learn to post from my phone ...
... but I already know the truth, damnit!
My '02 has physical throttle, not magical throttle. When did the switch to magical throttle happen? Still learning ...
Welcome from socal and another GMT800 owner. I believe that the switch to drive by wire happened in 2003 when the switch from the older analog electrical system, over to the digital electrical system happened. But I could wrong on that.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome from Miami Beach!
I will definitely post pics. Working on my to do list of items I want to upgrade once it gets here.

Those who know the ISSF well may also be familiar with me.

Don't quite love my '02 Tahoe Z71 yet, but I already respect it a whole lot.
Looking forward to the ability to tune GMT800s.
Had a roommate in Queens who bought 1994 NYPD decommissioned 9C1 Caprice. Was a supervisor Caprice so it was not beaten to death. Ran good considering 99% of the miles were stop and go and idling. As I recall it had the smaller 4.3 V8 [for city driving] not the 5.7. The Leos loved it as it had wiggle room unlike the other smaller pieces of junk like their previous vehicles.

OP
OP
M

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a roommate in Queens who bought 1994 NYPD decommissioned 9C1 Caprice.
Was a supervisor Caprice so it was not beaten to death.
Ran good considering 99% of the miles were stop and go and idling.
As I recall it had the smaller 4.3 V8 [for city driving] not the 5.7.
Leos loved it as it had wiggle room unlike the other smaller pieces of junk like their previous vehicles.
Only thing wrong with the 4.3L L99 V8, besides its lack of character, torque, power, and barely measurable MpG advantage over the 5.7L LT1, was the L99's existence.
Any tuner worth their weight in salt can get 2 or 3 more MpG out of any LT1, with a lil bit of help from admittedly conservative driving.

A 4" bore & a 3" stroke would have been preferable to a 3.74" bore & a 3.48" stroke.
Either, however, would have been preferable to a 4.3L L99 V8.

My previous 9C1-LT1s, Fleetwood, and wagon all had some storage/seating in the middle.
As a result they all also let me drive from the center seat with my left foot & hand.
That allowed me to be able to easily give thousands of driving lessons from 2001-2015, mostly in the wagon.

One day I may ask if it's possible to remove the center console, which would let me replace at least one of the seats with a seat from a Silvierrado, and regain the ability to drive from the middle ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh