Rain Sensor and Adaptive Cruise Control Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my issue too. After it was repaired they told me the top of the windshield had a leak which ruined the sensor so all new stuff was installed.

I can understand that but I do not believe any water was making its way to the center of this windshield. I used a flashlight to investigate and you could see streaks where the water was dripping down the glass, only on the passenger side, somewhat near the airbag and A pillar.

From what I can see the rain sensor should be removable without having to replace the glass. Am I right? The lane keep assist camera is removable as well, as it is held to the glass bracket by a couple of clips.

I'm not going to go about messing with it though, since it is under warranty.

I did investigate on GM Parts Direct and I can't find a rain sensor listed anywhere. I tried searching under rainsense and rain sensor.

By the way, my LCD display only illuminates the speedometer with an arrow for cruise control. From what I can tell, adaptive cruise control would have the image of the speedometer but with a small car instead of the arrow. I believe that is the difference. I am not sure why this vehicle would be equipped with lane keep assist and low speed automatic braking but not adaptive cruise control. I wonder what is missing that would otherwise be required for adaptive cruise control?

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can understand that but I do not believe any water was making its way to the center of this windshield. I used a flashlight to investigate and you could see streaks where the water was dripping down the glass, only on the passenger side, somewhat near the airbag and A pillar.

From what I can see the rain sensor should be removable without having to replace the glass. Am I right? The lane keep assist camera is removable as well, as it is held to the glass bracket by a couple of clips.

I'm not going to go about messing with it though, since it is under warranty.

I did investigate on GM Parts Direct and I can't find a rain sensor listed anywhere. I tried searching under rainsense and rain sensor.

By the way, my LCD display only illuminates the speedometer with an arrow for cruise control. From what I can tell, adaptive cruise control would have the image of the speedometer but with a small car instead of the arrow. I believe that is the difference. I am not sure why this vehicle would be equipped with lane keep assist and low speed automatic braking but not adaptive cruise control. I wonder what is missing that would otherwise be required for adaptive cruise control?
Do you have tow hooks? 2 of them? If so, you do not have adaptive cruise control? I have the same button as you described on my steering wheel, but do not have acc either.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have tow hooks? 2 of them? If so, you do not have adaptive cruise control? I have the same button as you described on my steering wheel, but do not have acc either.
Why would you not have Adaptive Cruise if you have Tow Hooks?

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not have any front tow hooks. I believe the lower unpainted portion of the bumper cover has areas that can be cut out to accommodate. Possibly.

The button on the steering wheel is to set the collision alert and automatic "low speed" braking only. I believe it works up until 40 mph or so according to the manual. Some models it says it works up to 50 mph. That is what the other sensor on the windshield near the rain sensor is for, along with the lane keep assist.. Perhaps it also controls the automatic high-beam "Intellilamps?" I'm not sure what other sensor would detect the headlamps and tail lamps of traffic.

Last edited:

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By the way, my LCD display in the gauge cluster displays this image for cruise control (either white or green when active.)
car-dashboard-symbols-cruise-control-150x150.jpg

I believe if your vehicle has adaptive cruise control it will display this image instead, replacing the arrow with the car instead. That's what I gather from perusing the manual, at least.
-dashboard-symbols-adaptive-cruise-control-150x150.jpg

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Apologies for my resurrection of a thread one year later, but I noticed today I have a similar issue.

I've had my 2019 GMC Yukon SLT just shy of three weeks and finally realized that rain sense is not working. I took it through a car wash earlier in the day today and forgot to switch rain sense off, but didn't realize it until hours later when it was raining this evening and rain sense was doing nothing. Then I realized that it didn't work in the car wash, even though I forgot to turn it off as the manual suggests.

I do know that my lane keep assist is functional for some roads at least, and will gently steer me back into my lane if I drift on to the lane markings. My automatic high-beam headlights are also functional, as is the green or yellow light on the dash for collision avoidance and keeping proper distance from vehicles in front of me. Lastly, the front and rear parking sensors are fully functional, as is the rear cross traffic alert when reversing. So, everything else seems to be functional as far as I am aware.

I do NOT know if the low speed collision avoidance system works, as this is not something that I wanted to test out. I understand that I have set the system to beep (I selected the audible alert versus the seat vibrations in the menu) as well as apply the brakes simultaneously.

I also know that my vehicle does NOT have high speed collision avoidance, but I am not sure if I have adaptive cruise control or not? This is not a feature that I have tested either.

Is there anything in particular I should look at in regards to the rain sensing automatic wiper system? I do know how to turn it on, and have "rain sense on" correctly displaying on the dash when I do. Yet it doesn't activate the windshield wipers even with the car wash is dousing the windshield.
There's a system logic built in that disables certain functions when the transmission is in "neutral" and the vehicle is moving. One item that is disabled is the rear wiper and I believe rain sense is also disabled under this situation. Try testing with a garden hose instead of a car wash (with transmission in park).

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a system logic built in that disables certain functions when the transmission is in "neutral" and the vehicle is moving. One item that is disabled is the rear wiper and I believe rain sense is also disabled under this situation. Try testing with a garden hose instead of a car wash (with transmission in park).

I poured an entire two quart water pitcher over the rain sensor while in park and also in drive (with the parking brake set) during my furthered tests yesterday morning, and still nothing.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting to know. What does the ACC equipment look like? Any pictures? I am curious to see.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting to know. What does the ACC equipment look like? Any pictures? I am curious to see.
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-...ame-and-components-****/?part_number=13442495

Look at 23

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts