Rain Sensor and Adaptive Cruise Control Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Apologies for my resurrection of a thread one year later, but I noticed today I have a similar issue.

I've had my 2019 GMC Yukon SLT just shy of three weeks and finally realized that rain sense is not working. I took it through a car wash earlier in the day today and forgot to switch rain sense off, but didn't realize it until hours later when it was raining this evening and rain sense was doing nothing. Then I realized that it didn't work in the car wash, even though I forgot to turn it off as the manual suggests.

I do know that my lane keep assist is functional for some roads at least, and will gently steer me back into my lane if I drift on to the lane markings. My automatic high-beam headlights are also functional, as is the green or yellow light on the dash for collision avoidance and keeping proper distance from vehicles in front of me. Lastly, the front and rear parking sensors are fully functional, as is the rear cross traffic alert when reversing. So, everything else seems to be functional as far as I am aware.

I do NOT know if the low speed collision avoidance system works, as this is not something that I wanted to test out. I understand that I have set the system to beep (I selected the audible alert versus the seat vibrations in the menu) as well as apply the brakes simultaneously.

I also know that my vehicle does NOT have high speed collision avoidance, but I am not sure if I have adaptive cruise control or not? This is not a feature that I have tested either.

Is there anything in particular I should look at in regards to the rain sensing automatic wiper system? I do know how to turn it on, and have "rain sense on" correctly displaying on the dash when I do. Yet it doesn't activate the windshield wipers even with the car wash is dousing the windshield.

Have you tried adjusting the sensitivity of the wipers by adjusting the intermittent setting?
B35FCEA8-5DD3-4F18-B8D8-DB45CFC50A29.png

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, with rain sense on there was absolutely no change regardless of where the intermittent switch was located. Every time you bump it "up" in sensitivity you do get one swipe of the windshield wipers for every notch in increased sensitivity, but when going "down" in sensitivity you do not.

I also realize that that being in the car wash was a poor test as the vehicle would most likely NOT trigger the windshield wipers as the vehicle was in NEUTRAL. How about PARK?

I'm thinking that last night's rain should have definitely triggered in the wipers. It wasn't a super hard rain but enough where I felt as though I had to turn intermittent wipers on manually to see better. Unfortunately, the heavier rain didn't begin until it was bed time.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you turn the wipers off and back on do they work? When I got my 07 I didn’t know I had rain sensing wipers. I just thought intermittent didn’t work unless I turned it off then on. Turned out to be a bad sensor behind the mirror and everything including the windshield had to be replaced thank goodness I bought extended warranty.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My normal windshield wipers work fine as does intermittent when rainsense is turned OFF. But rainsense does not appear to work as advertised. 5 minutes ago I just went out, turned on the truck, and poured an entire 2 quarts of water directly on the exterior of the windshield, right on top of the rain sensor's location, and nothing. I also tried all of the sensitivity settings from low to high.

The manual states that driving at low speeds or parked while in neutral gear will disable rainsense but it doesn't mention anything about being in park gear.

I'll call the dealer, it is under bumper-to-bumper warranty for about another 1,500 miles. It's a 2019 with ~34,500 miles.

On another note, how do I know if I have adaptive cruise or not? It appears as if there are only two sensors on the windshield behind the mirror, the circular one being the rain sensor and then the one more towards the passenger side. I'm not sure what function(s) that controls. As I said my automatic high-beam headlights do work fine.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My normal windshield wipers work fine as does intermittent when rainsense is turned OFF. But rainsense does not appear to work as advertised. 5 minutes ago I just went out, turned on the truck, and poured an entire 2 quarts of water directly on the exterior of the windshield, right on top of the rain sensor's location, and nothing. I also tried all of the sensitivity settings from low to high.

The manual states that driving at low speeds or parked while in neutral gear will disable rainsense but it doesn't mention anything about being in park gear.

I'll call the dealer, it is under bumper-to-bumper warranty for about another 1,500 miles. It's a 2019 with ~34,500 miles.

On another note, how do I know if I have adaptive cruise or not? It appears as if there are only two sensors on the windshield behind the mirror, the circular one being the rain sensor and then the one more towards the passenger side. I'm not sure what function(s) that controls. As I said my automatic high-beam headlights do work fine.
To test your adaptive cruise, get on a highway/freeway and get a good distance behind a car and set your cruise to go faster then they are going. When you get with in a certain distance, you should feel the car decelerate. It may not work under a certain speed like 35mph or so. Every car I’ve been in with it is different.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do have the button on the steering wheel for selecting one of three distances for crash warning. I believe that is the same setting one would use for setting the follow distance for adaptive cruise.

I have an appointment at my local dealer on January 8th to check out my rainsense issue.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just tested, there is no adaptive cruise control. I did request the build sheet and took another look at it. My vehicle has UHY - LOW SPD FORWARD AUTO BRAKING, UEU - FORWARD COLLISION ALERT, Y86 - ENHANCED DRIVER ALERT PACKAGE * SAFETY ALERT SEAT * LOW SPD FORWARD AUTO BRAKING, and K34 - CRUISE CONTROL.

I would imagine that adaptive cruise control is packaged with whatever automatic high speed emergency braking system GM offers. I believe that is bundled with the heads-up display (HUD) on the Denali trim package.

With that being said, I checked the 10 amp fuse for RAINSENSE and it is intact. So, something definitely is not working with the sensor. I also removed the black plastic trim piece that surrounds the rear view mirror and confirmed that the rain sensor is plugged in. There are three plugs, one for the rain sensor, one for the rear view mirror, and another for the other sensor on the passenger side. We'll see what the dealer says on the 8th.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just tested, there is no adaptive cruise control. I did request the build sheet and took another look at it. My vehicle has UHY - LOW SPD FORWARD AUTO BRAKING, UEU - FORWARD COLLISION ALERT, Y86 - ENHANCED DRIVER ALERT PACKAGE * SAFETY ALERT SEAT * LOW SPD FORWARD AUTO BRAKING, and K34 - CRUISE CONTROL.

I would imagine that adaptive cruise control is packaged with whatever automatic high speed emergency braking system GM offers. I believe that is bundled with the heads-up display (HUD) on the Denali trim package.

With that being said, I checked the 10 amp fuse for RAIN SENSE and it is intact. So, something definitely is not working with the sensor. We'll see what the dealer says on the 8th.

Please post back with what you learn.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please post back with what you learn.

I do know that the windshield was removed and reinstalled by another Cadillac dealership prior to me taking possession. I bought this Yukon from Carmax, and during the test drive I noticed water leaking in from the very top of the windshield. So, before I bought, I told Carmax that I wanted it repaired before I paid and took possession.

I spoke with the Cadillac service manager and he said that they called in a glass company to remove the windshield and found that the factory seal was deformed at the top of the passenger side, so they removed all of the urethane and re-installed the windshield. With that being said, I do know that the windshield is GM approved as it has the same logo on it as the remainder of the glass on this vehicle. But, I wonder if removing the windshield has anything to do with this issue or if there was a problem before.

With that being said I'm not taking it to the same Cadillac dealership because I live only a few minutes away from a GMC dealership. I also won't willingly offer up knowing that the windshield had been messed with by another dealer. Not that it would matter since I do have the paperwork to back it up, and I didn't mess with it myself.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was my issue too. After it was repaired they told me the top of the windshield had a leak which ruined the sensor so all new stuff was installed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne