Radio update killed battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Palmetto469

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just A PSA for the group. My car asked repeatedly for an update yesterday which I scheduled to run overnight given the length of time it needed. I woke up this morning to a dead battery and now, even with the car jumped and running again, I’m still getting multiple error messages (service steering column, forward collision alert unavailable, and service driver alert systems). Car was already scheduled for repairs on Monday for unrelated items so this will be added to the list.

In the meantime I would recommend not updating your radio just yet. Perhaps just a coincidence but I seriously doubt it.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
these vehicles are pretty finicky with power, I would try disconnecting the battery, wait about 10 minutes and hook it back up. if the power got critically low (below 10.5v) then got jump started it can do all kinds of goofy stuff until it is reset and has a good electrical handshake.

OP
OP
Palmetto469

Palmetto469

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yep - good advice. After driving for a while and several cycles of turning off and on it has now cleared all error codes. They essentially cleared one by one through progressive cycles after the car had been running for about 30-45 min.

The radio is staying on for about 20 seconds after parking and locking the car. Don’t remember it doing that before but maybe I’m imagining things now.

Still would advise folks to be careful with the system updates.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though its a PITA, I usually let my vehicle run outside in the driveway while its doing an OTA update of software. As a bonus it hooks to my house Wi-Fi and I don't burn any vehicle data..

OP
OP
Palmetto469

Palmetto469

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, I’m new to the GM fold. I don’t understand the theory on this one. Our Volvo downloads OTA updates while driving and will start and stop as needed over multiple trips. This doesn’t seem well thought out by GM.

yukontruckman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I downloaded this update a coupe of weeks ago with no issues. System warned it would take hours, but it ended up completing in ~ 30 minutes.

Anyone notice any significant changes/updates? I haven't had the chance to dig too deep into the menus.

JPMAG

Reaction score
We tried the infotainment update on Friday.
Needless to say it's currently at the dealership because the screen went completely black with some old school computer script showing.

Between this and the rear entertainment system never working right in the 6+ months I'm just about has enough and will be looking for something else soon.

jjobev

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep - good advice. After driving for a while and several cycles of turning off and on it has now cleared all error codes. They essentially cleared one by one through progressive cycles after the car had been running for about 30-45 min.

The radio is staying on for about 20 seconds after parking and locking the car. Don’t remember it doing that before but maybe I’m imagining things now.

Still would advise folks to be careful with the system updates.
I just noticed that my radio is also staying on after the car is locked. I got the notification for the update this evening but I didn’t click to install. I hit the X. It is unclear if it ran and when I check updates it tells me that vehicle isn’t in the proper condition to run which I assume means I haven’t driven enough before trying to update. It is weird walking away from locked vehicle with radio and infotainment still on.

Petty Levert

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just A PSA for the group. My car asked repeatedly for an update yesterday which I scheduled to run overnight given the length of time it needed. I woke up this morning to a dead battery and now, even with the car jumped and running again, I’m still getting multiple error messages (service steering column, forward collision alert unavailable, and service driver alert systems). Car was already scheduled for repairs on Monday for unrelated items so this will be added to the list.

In the meantime I would recommend not updating your radio just yet. Perhaps just a coincidence but I seriously doubt it.
Wow, my battery died Saturday in the 2021 Tahoe I ended up getting a new alternator and battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC