Radio install, Now no crank, no door locks, no keyless

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

wfburton159

Reaction score
Quickly skimmed through all this. Are you using an interface for the install or just tapping into the wiring?
Using an interface. Got busy with deer hunting opener in North Dakota. So I went to get a used (heated) complete steering column from a Denali and on the way there the radio had a message about incorrect parking brake wiring. Had a 50 minute drive one way. So almost the entire way there I had the issue with nothing working. Had to use my phone for a speedometer as all gauges were out and cruise control did not work. But then on the way home everything popped back on and worked besides two times it flashed out and back on. I was watching the on star lights in the mirror and they would be completely off when acting normal. The three on star lights would start to light up dimly and flicker. Then the truck would mess up with all the warning lights. Remember I have removed the link in the on star and pulled the fuse for it. When everything was working on the way back the Pioneer radio was stuck or frozen in backup camera mode. I had switched the reverse input from battery(default) to ground. It is now still frozen in reverse camera mode only. Music still plays and the entire truck is working fine after I cut the parking brake wire and the reverse input wire. Now that I am back I need to disconnect the battery again to reset the pioneer head unit. So either the parking brake wire or the reverse input wire were causing the issues because my wife drove the Yukon all weekend with no issues.

And I do have the PC5-GM31 interface for the wiring.

OP
OP
W

wfburton159

Reaction score
I hate intermittent electrical issues, they’re the hardest to figure out. Wishing you the best. I’m sure you’ll figure it out. Make sure to update this when you do.
I replied to another post in here as well but I think my issue was the parking brake connection or the reverse sense connection. Do you need to use one of the parking brake bypass harnesses with this vehicle?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replied to another post in here as well but I think my issue was the parking brake connection or the reverse sense connection. Do you need to use one of the parking brake bypass harnesses with this vehicle?
If the stereo has a DVD player, the PAC interface or whatever you’re using does usually tie into the parking brake since you’re not supposed to be able to watch while you’re driving, you are supposed to set the brake first before it will play. And of course the backup lights are tied to the rear view camera to trigger it.

OP
OP
W

wfburton159

Reaction score
Well it appears my issues are gone. It must have come from me just grounding the parking brake wire between the radio and the interface. It was just a setting to get the rear camera view to disappear. I still have the rear camera input disconnected so I will test the wire out of the interface before re-connecting that. When it was working I have the camera display in the mirror as well as the radio. Now on to the heated Denali steering wheel. Got all the donor parts from the Denali prepped last night.

OP
OP
W

wfburton159

Reaction score
Well good news. The vintage Pioneer radio has a hidden built in override bypass for the DVD player so I can leave the parking brake wire disconnected. So maybe tonight I will tackle the heated steering wheel.

OP
OP
W

wfburton159

Reaction score
I can't seem to win with this thing. The used heated Denali wheel is on but the heated wheel doesn't work. Sometimes the light on the button flashes when pressed. It ohms out so maybe clockspring? The airbag wires were ripped off of the used clockspring so I cut them off my non heated wheel clockspring and soldered them back on. Now I have an airbag light. I will start with a new clockspring from a Denali. Even without the heat working this new wheel does look pretty nice with the woodgrain. Doesn't exactly match the SLT wood on the dash but its close enough. I am using my original airbag.

OP
OP
W

wfburton159

Reaction score
Still having no crank issues. When it goes into this no crank issue the following does not work; drivers windows, door locks, rear lift gate (rear pop window does work), radio does not power on (accesory pulse) but the radio does keep 12 volt constant power, keyless entry, panic button, remote start, dome light operation for front doors only. Dome light still functions on the back doors. What am I missing? Worked fine for a week. When it does start it operates all normal. After sitting with the battery connected it will return to a start and everything working order condition.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

wfburton159

Reaction score
Everything is now working again on the vehicle. I ended up replacing the battery with a new one and now I do not have issues. So I think a bad battery was the problem.