Quick take on K2XX Tahoe LTZ ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I rented a 15i Tahoe for a week to drive from Charleston to Miami, and half way into the trip, and since this is the first time I’ve driven one for more than a dealer test drive, I thought I would share my thoughts and how the K2XX compares to all the GMT900s I had. Keep in mind I haven’t gone through all the options and personalizing the vehicle to me so perhaps some of the issues I encounter may be due to me not being in the right settings. I’m not going to speak of looks cause that’s subjective.

The good:

- Big improvement in comfort. The seats are nicer than in GMT900 Esky and the ride a lot smoother and quieter.

- Big improvement in interior finish and better ergonomics. That’s to be expected with a new gen model but they did a really good job … most impressive is the lack of rattles, especially since this is a rental truck which has been abused for 14K miles.

- Huge improvement in fuel economy. I did 300 miles straight with the cruise at 79mph and it got 21mpg. 21mpg was also the average for the whole trip down which included cruise at various speeds and some city driving.

- They seem to have resolved the slip yoke issues of the GMT900s … you can decelerate from highway speeds hit the throttle at 40mph without the the dreaded clank.

- The infotainment system is better, but I was familiar with it since it is similar to the one in the Vette … better, not great. For some reason it will only play my iPhone audio through bluetooth and not through USB, but I might be doing something wrong.

The not good:

- Transmission does not like stop and go traffic. Try to drive a little aggressively and it keeps bogging down and chasing gears … it basically takes it forever to compute what the driver is trying to do and select the appropriate gear, I would not want to try to do an evasive maneuver involving the throttle with this truck, it’s very prone to bogging down at slow speeds when you need quick acceleration.

- The ventilated seats are louder than a Motel 6 window AC unit, and not particularly effective.

- As expected, the cargo area has gone to shit all in the name of being able to say that they have the fold flat 3rd row. I am actually picking up some cargo on this trip and the amount of room is ridiculously small for a vehicle this size. At least in the GMT900 we had the choice of removing the 3rd row seats. They were heavy and a pita but without them in the truck and with the second row folded up we had way more room than in this truck. Let’s put it this way, this configuration only helps those who make use of the 3rd row on a regular basis, for all the others it reduces the U from the SUV.

- The distance/proximity control/sensors are all over the place. I’ve disabled lane departure, and I still sometimes get the seat vibrating even though I’ve stopped 20ft behind the car in front of me. And when the front or rear sensors are telling me I’m about to hit something when parking, I stop, I go outside and look, and I’m still feet away from the obstacle. The old beeps were a lot more intuitive to me.

There is one aspect that is both good and bad and that is the lighting. I’m impressed with the output of the halogen projectors. For not being HIDs they are exceptional. However the high beams are so poor that they are downright dangerous. If I owned one these trucks it would be the first thing I’d address.

Generally speaking it’s a good truck where it counts. The GM V8s are still the best and it will get you where you need to be with utility and comfort. Great vehicle for long road trips. One of the more surprising things about it is that notwithstanding official HP numbers, the gap seems to have closed between the 5.3 and 6.2 in the K2XX. In the GMT900s it was night and day. But I test drove an Esky a few weeks ago and it didn’t feel as exponentially more powerful than the 5.3 as in the previous gen. I would say that from a $ value pov, the current Tahoe is a better choice for the money than the current Denali/Esky, reversing what was the case in the GMT900s.

I’m sure others will have different opinions on this stuff, and mine would prolly be more refined if I had the truck for longer.

chicagofan00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good summary of the Tahoe.

With regards to the transmission in stop & go traffic, isn't some of this due to the fact that it is a rental and perhaps hasn't really learned the driving characteristics of any one particular driver? Also, I believe this can be fixed in part by the Diablo Intune programming, no?

For the proximity/distance sensors I rely a bit more on the radar image on the dash than the seat vibrations (along with general looking around at my surroundings) but I haven't noticed the items you have with regards to being several feet off the mark. In general it seems fairly accurate on my Tahoe LT.

techbrute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well done.

I constantly struggled with the 6-speed in my 2010 Sierra. For 5 years I was waiting for it to get better. My 2015 Denali 8-speed works infinitely better.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice write up, serge!

Brake_L8

Reaction score
Good write-up! I just took the keys to a 2015 Tahoe LT yesterday while my GMT800 Denali is having some paint repair done (through insurance).

This Tahoe is from Enterprise and has 30k on the clock already. Compared to my GMT800 Yukon Denali (2005) with 135k on it, my impressions so far:

• Seats are worse
  • Transmission is better
  • Sound system (Bose on both) is worse
  • MyLink sucks (very slow, Playskool interface, had to break out the manual to figure out how to play Bluetooth audio from my iPhone)
  • Visibility is worse
  • New 5.3L makes more HP and torque, does better on fuel (I'm hovering near 20 mpg mixed driving) with 0.7L less displacement than my Denali
  • Cargo room is laughably bad. Second and third row do not fold to make a completely flat floor, and the "trunk floor" when opening the hatch is way too high
  • Lane departure and collision warning are stupid (this is more of a "bah humbug I hate new cars" thing) but thankfully can be disabled
  • Throttle response is awful, likely toned down off idle to maximize fuel economy
  • Brakes are WAY better. Older GMs typically have terrible brake pedal feel and this one is excellent
  • Electric power steering vs. my GMT800 hydroboost is very good. No complaints.
  • Ride (this 2015 does not have Magneride, my Denali does) is crashy over bumps. Rebound with stock shocks is not as good as it ought to be.

It's nice enough, mostly because I'm not paying to drive it. If I were in the market, I'd immediately look at the Yukon instead (I prefer that center stack layout) but honestly, probably would skip out on the GM offerings unless the Yukon/Escalade are markedly better in every way.

I use my Yukon for towing a track car and sleeping in the back at race weekends. There's no point in the newer models if the rear floor isn't flat. Might as well just get a pickup, and pick a Ford/Ram with the superior infotainment offerings if the GM SUVs aren't a viable option.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
- As expected, the cargo area has gone to shit all in the name of being able to say that they have the fold flat 3rd row. I am actually picking up some cargo on this trip and the amount of room is ridiculously small for a vehicle this size. At least in the GMT900 we had the choice of removing the 3rd row seats. They were heavy and a pita but without them in the truck and with the second row folded up we had way more room than in this truck. Let’s put it this way, this configuration only helps those who make use of the 3rd row on a regular basis, for all the others it reduces the U from the SUV.

This sucks...

:(

techbrute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem with the old third row configuration, aside from it being a beating taking them in and out, GM inadvertently created a black market for them. All the vehicles had the third row hardware, even if they didn't come with the actual seats, but GM did not sell the seats, EVEN AS REPLACEMENT PARTS. So, someone would steal your seats, then your insurance company would have to buy (likely stolen) used seats to replace them for you.

We use our third row all the time. My wife would never have been able to remove the third row from the old trucks, but now it's just touching a button.

Everyone has their own reasons for wanting one way or the other, but I like the new configuration for my lifestyle. I'm more likely to flip a seat down to get something long in than I am to pack every cubic inch of the back with cargo.

I don't care for the slant in the back, but I don't find it that bad. I'm considering a Truckvault drawer to replace it so you can access the storage when there is cargo back there.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couple of more notes cause I drove 600 miles today in one shot. This time without any city driving I averaged 22mpg averaging 75mph and with about 300lbs worth of cargo. So that's very impressive.

On the other hand the transmission has become a source of comedy for me. It actually performs very well under relaxed driving conditions and the shifts are a lot smoother than on the GMT900, especially on the lower gear upshifts.

But go ahead and try this: drive at any speed over say 35mph, take your foot off of the accelerator and coast for a couple of seconds and then floor it to wot and then let off. Don't worry about getting launched because it won't move an inch, in fact it will rev up to almost red line without engaging a gear, almost as if it were a manual and you pressed the throttle and clutch at the same time, or as if the tranny was shot. It's truly incredible that an automatic tranny coupled to a V8 could behave this way ... and it is funny, unless of course one finds one's self in one of those aforementioned situations where throttle response can make the difference tween being in or avoiding an accident.

Not sure what GM has done there with the TCM programming, but I find it unsettling to the degree of unsafe. I would not want to own a vehicle that can't properly respond to driver input. And I'm 99% sure it's not an isolated incident ... when I got back home I picked up my Vette from the chevy dealer and asked about this and he said that's how they are meant to operate.

I'm honestly not trying to bad mouth the truck ... just noting my experience with it.

Last edited:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if blackbear can tune to fix this TCM issue in the K2xx? @JennaBear sounds like it'd be an essential mod in this case

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne

Latest posts