Quick jaunt from CT to Virginia Tech / Updated with AFM Disabler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

orchidcrazy

Reaction score
I get MUCH better mileage on my way to Indiana University and back, but that is pretty much cruise control and forget it and pretty straight-forward, level run once you get to Western PA. I forgot to check the mileage down prior to driving around campus and sight seeing, but ended up with 22.5 - we got in, drove around a bit, got up in the morning, drove around a bit before I thought to check.
View media item 27189
This is true 'door to door' on the way home but did get re-routed around Harrisburg, PA., slowed down by idiots looking at a plastic straw dump on the opposite side of freeway prior to the Tappan Zee Bridge and then ran into commuter traffic on 684 right off 287 so was slow going the last 30 minutes or so. Plus I had a heavier foot without the teen on board.
View media item 27190
Not bad for a large SUV! Much better than my Jeep Grand Cherokee with Hemi which got a worlds best of 18 if no-one was nearby, and our '03 XL which got 17 originally, then 8 - 11 in its last years with us after 11 years of decent service and 190K on the original engine.

I have a Range Technology AFM delete fob and a return trip Thursday to Virginia Tech pick up the youngest. I use it mainly around town to avoid the ups/downs of 4/8 on our New England hills, but might just try it to see what the mileage hit is.

Must say - second kid I have brought to that campus, would love this last to attempt to attend - incredible place and LOVE the military history and vibe you get even on a mostly empty campus.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. I def vote to use the Range AFM module next trip and post your actual mpg experience. It’d be a pretty good “comparable” comparison with and without the module.

OP
OP
O

orchidcrazy

Reaction score
Nice. I def vote to use the Range AFM module next trip and post your actual mpg experience. It’d be a pretty good “comparable” comparison with and without the module.

Done! As requested trip to VT on Thursday, as with the previous trip down it was a breeze. This was door to door unlike the first pic shown which included some in town driving.
View media item 27194
This was the trip back, again as with the first ran into a bit of traffic, was rerouted once but not as far a jaunt away from the freeway, all in all was quite similar in driving conditions.
View media item 27195
The mileage hit isn't drastic, I lost a bit over 1 mpg with the AFM Disabled on the way back but gained it on the way to. I doubt I would use the disabler on all trips. I mainly use it for my around town driving, which here in New England includes lots of hills, ups and downs, starts and stops, just nice to have the V8 power all the time. Maybe my imagination, but I felt the trip TO Va Tech once you get past Staunton, VA was much nicer in all V8 and that's where I actually benefited with the AFM disabled, coming back it's all coasting downhill in the area so no real benefit.

Major pet peeve driving... wish folks realized that police don't pull people over for driving the speed limit - you don't need to slam on your brakes when you see an officer on the road if you are obeying posted limits!

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting! Kind of surprised that the mpg on your road trips with and without the Range AFM disabler is negligible. There are lots of variables for those who want to split hairs about road types, traffic, how heavy on the accelerator etc., but in this example here the AFM sn't even worth.

Don't get me started on driving pet peeves...

Ken G

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I've never seen a decrease in fuel mileage with AFM disabled on 5 different Silverado's and Tahoe's, heck on my 2012 Silv. I actually got 2-3mpg BETTER once I disabled the AFM lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent