Questions about Brake fluid.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Windboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently I plan to change the brake fluid in my 2016 Tahoe, with 52000+mi. In the manual, it says I could only use DOT3 fluids. But could I use DOT4?
I’m considering using Valvoline DOT3&4, has anyone tried that yet?

OP
OP
W

Windboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I notice there are some DOT4 Low Viscosity brake fluids, which have a lower viscosity than many DOT3 fluids. Will they cause any problems to the vehicle?
Is there anyone could help me with this? I'd be very appreciated.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as brake fluid, it seems most have differing opinions. Some say yes, some no.

I changed brake fluid about a year ago and used Motul 5.1. Very pleased with the results.

The most important thing is to flush and change regularly—about every 2 years or 50k miles. Not a hard job, just laborious and time consuming.

OP
OP
W

Windboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As far as brake fluid, it seems most have differing opinions. Some say yes, some no.

I changed brake fluid about a year ago and used Motul 5.1. Very pleased with the results.

The most important thing is to flush and change regularly—about every 2 years or 50k miles. Not a hard job, just laborious and time consuming.
Very appreciated for your reply. Have you taken the wheels off to do the flush?

Last edited:

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Is this a part of scheduled maintenance per the owner's manual?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

Windboy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is this a part of scheduled maintenance per the owner's manual?

In my owner's manual, the brake fluid needs to be changed every 45000mi. I'm not sure what will happen if you didn't change it since I've seen people didn't change it for a lot of years and every thing's fine...But I think you'd better change it regularly.

Last edited:

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
brake fluid wears out from the heat generated by the brakes.

it also gets condensation in the fluid from the heating and cooling. once its black its dirty, burnt and thinned out and its time for a flush.

you will feel a improvement in the brakes when done.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
DOT 3 and 4 are compatible as in, you can use dot 4 instead of 3 but not the other way around, they are glycol based. DOT 5 is a silicone based brake fluid normally used in motorcycles and the like, they should not be mixed. DOT 5.1 is also glycol based but the system should be completely flushed of old brake fluid if used.

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my owner's manual, the brake fluid needs to be changed every 45000mi. I'm not sure what will happen if you didn't change it since I've seen people didn't change it for a lot of years but every thing's fine...
Thanks for the heads-up. I probably would have missed it otherwise. I've gotta do a better job of keeping track of scheduled msintenance!

clogan2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wonder what the dealer charges to change the brake fluid?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kwhaleys