Question: Should I change ATF fluid and Trans filter for the first time at 150k miles?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If gonna do an ATF flush, I agree with @Geotrash. You attach at the trans cooling lines and start the engine and let the trans pump swap out the fluid. The trans flush machine does not use any pressure to do the swap.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would do a complete fluid and filter change.

40k miles ago, when we bought our very used Denali w/6L80 tranny, that's what I did. It's still going strong at 170k miles. But I did change the torque converter at the same time as a preventative mx measure.

alpha_omega

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a complete change. Don’t let your fluid get anywhere near as bad as the previous owner let mine get. I’ll be lucky if I get another change in 30k out of mine without a rebuild close by.

Doing a fluid exchange is pretty simple if you have the know-how and access to some tools. You might even consider looking at a new pan that has a drain plug since you’re going be doing another drain here shortly. B&M makes a real nice pan, but they aren’t nice on the wallet. I liked everything about their pan…except for the mounting hardware. Who uses allen head bolts on a transmission pan? For the cost of it they could have thrown in ARP hex’s or even their 12pt bolts.
Let us know if you need info on doing an exchange. There are some good “how-to” videos and a couple good step by step’s (with photos). Here’s a good one that will give you an idea of what is involved. Different tranny but the same principles apply.

73735203-F9BF-441E-8607-2471087274EB.jpeg2A0A6B5D-CF7E-4CAD-A15B-49E84E599853.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne