Question: Is there a video walk-through for installation of Bilstein B8 5100 front struts re-using OEM spring/spring perch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OhioYukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone might be aware of a good video walk-through for installation of the Bilstein B8 5100 front struts re-using OEM spring/spring perch? I've been looking for just such a thing but no luck. Trying to quickly decide whether I want to attempt the install myself or pay a shop to do it when I'm have the front lower ball joints replaced under warranty here shortly.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could write you instructions on it but if the shop that is doing the lower ball joints has the equipment for this it could be very cheap to have the shop do the springs as well.

If i recall correctly the bilsteins come with written instructions

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a set of 5100s on my Armada, and it's basically 99% the same procedure. You'll want a spring compressor ( I rented this from AutoZone: https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...strut-coil-compressor/537058_0_0?cmpid=OSA:US), and big impact gun.

Also, find your best safety squints, and have your mother on speed-dial in case something goes sideways.

Remember, the deadliest springs are the things that don't look like springs.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed a set of 5100s on my Armada, and it's basically 99% the same procedure. You'll want a spring compressor ( I rented this from AutoZone: https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-...strut-coil-compressor/537058_0_0?cmpid=OSA:US), and big impact gun.

Also, find your best safety squints, and have your mother on speed-dial in case something goes sideways.

Remember, the deadliest springs are the things that don't look like springs.
man, I was just watching a video the other day where the guy is using a spring compressor and somehow did not have it on correctly and he loosened the bolt on the spring cap and the spring expanded some and snatched his finger in it, somehow he was able to use his other hand and tighten the compressor but geeez man no thanks

Last edited:

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
man, I was just watching a video the other day where the key is using a spring compressor and somehow did not have it on correctly and he loosened the bolt on the spring cap and the spring expanded some and snatched his finger in it, somehow he was able to use his other hand and tighten the compressor but geeez man no thanks

The only safe spring compressors are those giant phone-booth sized contraptions with safety cages around it. Even then...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2