Question for the 01-06 people

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cliffjrs

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought with 136,000. I'm at about 186,000 now. Tuned at about 183,000 and never drove better.

My 2001 5.3 Tahoe has 241,000 plus and still running strong, no smoke, no oil usage etc. But, I’ve probably replaced every GD sensor and some more than once!

jlp78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought my '05 Yukon with 205k on it. I had them replace the steering box (was leaking at the pitman arm) and the alternator (had an annoying whine). The only thing I have had to do is swap out the transfer case control motor (there was a remanufactured one on there, so it had apparently failed once before... replaced it with a new Dorman part). The thing is a beast and rides like a dream.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2002 Silverado with a 4.8 and a 5spd MT. It has intake, exhaust, and tune. I drive it harder than you ever will with an automatic unless you are always towing or like donuts. Once warmed up, I near floor it through first and second up to 6k rpm almost every time, and through third if getting on the highway, then shift up to 5th real quick to cruise. I bought this with 90K from the original older man owner 7 yrs ago and now have 234K miles. I keep up with basic maintenance, and have never had a problem. I recently had it smogged and its near the same as it was 6 yrs ago, something like 1928 to 1938 ppm. I have been thrilled with its reliability, and here researching for when I am ready to start a GMT820 with a Man(ual) trans.

I'm going to assume you read the sticky at the top of the forum, that lists most of the model problems, there isn't anything that is overly troublesome. With the engine the biggest KNOWN problem is the Castech heads.
To take it farther:
Doesn't sound like you are an OEM is always best person, do you do your own maintenance?
RWD/4WD/AWD? 4WD can make some maintenance a little more time consuming, but nothing to be afraid of. AWD TC can have some problems.

I came over from BMW after wanting another pickup. They get high marks for reliability, but they are almost disgusting to own. My pickup's cooling maintenance is to change the coolant every year. My BMW's MANUFACTURER REQUIRED maintenance schedule is to replace the entire cooling system (radiator, waterpump, hoses, sensors, and "must only use" $30 a gallon "BMW" coolant), EVERY TWO YEARS.... That's the kind of BS they have you do so they get higher reliability ratings, you replace everything before it breaks. I'm even talking about the older models that were these same years. They want you to spend $4-$6K a year in preemptive maintenance. Not only will I never go back, but I am planning on getting an SUV and my pickup to last me for as long as I can think of. With BMW I picked up the mindset that any vehicle needed to be <100K miles on it. After owning my pickup, and everything I have read on several forums, when I am ready to pick up another vehicle, its going to be: Well maintained, up to 250K is no problem.

I really don't think a well-maintained LS GenIII/GenIV engine seems to have a limited life span. I know you don't want to get one, but if something does go wrong: a lot of it is easily interchangeable, theres a world of knowledge to help, you can find low mileage engines and trans for cheap everywhere, there is nothing overly complicated or that requires expensive/specific tools to fix. The 4.8 is the same as the 5.3 outside the short block.

Cyclemoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought my ‘06 2500 Sub with 190k 2 1/2 years ago. Have 220k on it now and couldn’t be happier.

OP
OP
drakon543

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no adriver i dont always go oem only when its basic stuff like sensors and other parts like that. my stock manifolds were pretty wooped so i went with headers. muffler was showing signs so i built a cat back setup. wife warps rotors like its her job so i usually upgrade that. everything else i upgrade is generally for mpg or more features.

KatGV

Reaction score
My 05 4x4 is a daily driver AND the family Az trip vehicle (sometimes monthly if not more often we add another 600 mile trip) it gets driven hard, 208,000 engine was noisey we elected to replace, 245,000 or so trany went, and 270,000 or so the transfer case .... it's always serviced at the dealer my hubby works there. AND yes it depends on how it taken care of, but now my baby's is like new and will hopfully get another 200,000 miles at least out of her. (cfrossing fingers) good luck in your search.

i currently have my 97 Tahoe and my wife and i have been debating on moving to the next year model. yukon, tahoe, Escalade whatever i happened to come across that i like. my only real question would be at what mileage would you guys say nope if you were looking? regardless of price lets just go with seller says everything is fully functional and well maintained. i would rather spend my time going to test drive and look over a truck that i can have a better chance of it being dependable. aside from basic possible regular maintenance items at what point are the 01-06 prone to have the engine or transmission ready to go just from normsl wear and tear. i keep hearing this model range goes forever and i dont want to start off with a possible project on my hands.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my 2005 Yukon XL SLT about 6 months ago. with 140,000. One owner, dealer maintained, well kept.

Other than a passenger door/ window regulator ( complete kit at O' Reiley's for a mere $71 bucks / 1 hour 10 minutes to replace...... Everything seems absolutely WONDERFUL !!!

06 Yukon XL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My former 06 Yukon XL I bought with 70,000km in May 2008. Had it until January 2017 when it was stolen, It had about 280,000km at that point. Major repairs over that time were both front wheel hubs, rear gears and fuel pump. Not bad for almost 10 years of ownership. Engine and transmission were still strong.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
My BMW's MANUFACTURER REQUIRED maintenance schedule is to replace the entire cooling system (radiator, waterpump, hoses, sensors, and "must only use" $30 a gallon "BMW" coolant), EVERY TWO YEARS.... \
Year/model? I'm questioning if you were fed a fat crock of shit lol

As far as maintenance on my truck goes... I'm in the 500 to 750 a year bracket for maintenance. Put 12-15k on it annually. It's probably overkill but I need my equipment to perform with flawless reliability. I do a lot of driving in the middle of 'nowhere.' If I incur a breakdown, the privilege of getting to a shop will cost me something around $350, plus cost of repairs, plus the time associated with it, plus (likely) hotel costs and transport to/from the shop. It's worth my time to stay on top of this stuff, even if it borders the side of hypochondriacal maintenance

My maintenance schedule is roughly something like:

Oil every 3-4k. Full synthetic. M1 0w30 or castrol synthetic 5w30. Depends on time of year and what's on sale at the time. Oil filter is either amsoil or fram ultra filter. I drain/fill the oil in the trans pan every other oil change. Front diff gets done yearly with 75w140. Not ideal, but I'm trying to limp it for now. It's boinked. All steering components see a dosing of a synthetic chassis grease.

I'll also take this time to go over belts, inspect hoses, a/c lines, various fittings, brakes, bushings, etc etc, Basically any and all soft parts. And give it a good interior wipedown :p

Annually: Change engine, cabin filter, p/s fluid, sand/touch up any compromised rust areas, rotate tires, check torque on front axle nuts, give the whole vehicle a shakedown. Make sure everything tight is tight, everything that moves, moves. As a final bit, I check t-stat open temp with either my scan tool or a temp gun. Whatever's handy at the time and verify my a/c pressures are in spec

Every 2 years: brake fluid, coolant, trans filter, rear diff fluid, tcase fluid

Almost 14 year old vehicle with 140k on it and there's not a single pop, clunk, squeak, whine, drip, funny smell, or the need to add oil over the course of an OCI.

Last edited:

mattt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought my 04 Tahoe Z71 with 140k and it's rolling 280k this month, a little over 4 years later. This generation is reliable, but not bullet proof. There is the Castech head issue and common oil leaks from the 5.3. I'm on the original engine and trans, but both are showing their age. The engine leaks oil, and the trans does slip a very minor amount if you're on the gas, off the gas, and then back on the gas. I've been happy so far, but it is time to either sell it, or dump some money into fixing the engine issues(oil leaks, possible head gaskets or Castech heads, leaking intake gaskets, & a loose front suspension and steering). I did the water pump earlier this year which was a leaker. Trans I will have to have rebuilt when it goes or earlier. I'd be interested to hear what issues others had at the high 200k mark and what they did to fix it.

Good luck with your purchase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felixmontiel