Question about oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ID_Escalade

Reaction score
Hey guys I want to change to sinthetic oil, but wanted to make sure it would be a good idea at 170000 miles. I was also wonder what you guys perfer for oil mobile 1, royal purple or amsoil thanks

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Obviously I prefer Amsoil, but as long as you follow the change interval recommendations from the manufacturer of the oil then you will be fine.

As for changing it to synthetic at 170K miles, it depends on the condition of the engine and the previous maintenance history. IF you know it has been taken care of and there are no obvious signs of any leaking anywhere then you should be fine with the change.

With that many miles, unless you know for a fact that the oil has been changed every 3-5K miles I would not recommend using an engine flush. The oil itself, especially if you use Amsoil, will begin to clean out the gunk left from the old oil while reconditioning the seals and gaskets WHILE it cleans. Performing an engine flush right off the bat could open up the seals and gaskets making the risk of a leak after the change more probable.

If you would like some more information about Amsoil, check the link in my signature and/or contact me and I will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

OP
OP
I

ID_Escalade

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help and info, what would you recommend use the signature seires or the XL oil. Thanks again

Freedom Motorsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Signature Series oils have a much longer service interval than the XL series oils. Both are great full synthetic choices, but in the end, the price difference between the two is reflective of the difference in the overall quality of the protection provided by each. Since the Signature Series oils are capable of longer service intervals, they will hold up better overall and offer the best overall benefits.

Make sure not to pay retail either, you can either join the Amsoil Preferred Customer Membership program and purchase at wholesale that way by clicking the link pasted below, or you can simply order through me and I will ship to you at wholesale costs.

Amsoil Preferred Customer Program

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zeronightwolf