Purchasing a Tahoe PPV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bayareadude84

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I apologize if I'm hijacking the thread here, but what would you guys recommend looking for when purchasing a 2014 Tahoe PPV with about 220,000KM? I'm in Canada and these are former OPP/Highway patrol vehicles.

When looking at the motor, would it be wise to look for excessive engine movement? Belts, pulleys? Anything else?

Additionally what would you'll suggest doing to the vehicle after purchase? Would the list below suffice?

1. Oil change
  2. Sparks
  3. Transmission fluid change
  4. Rear diff. fluid change
  5. Air & Cabin filter

Thanks in advance.

I would look out for rust being a Canadian vehicle. And running the VIN through your local dealership doesn't hurt either to see any repair or warranty work has been done on it.

Other then what others guys have said you should be good to go. Highway patrol's usually maintain vehicles VERY VERY well !!!

Tune Up, Replacing brakes, shocks and flushing ALL fluids are a good start for preventative maintenance

Dave

SLH350

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Along the same lines, what do you guys think of year vs miles? I've found some low mileage units, sub 100k, but they're generally in the 08-09 range, whereas the 2012-2014s I've found are higher up towards the 120,000-160,000 mile range. Not sure if it's worth snagging a '14 even though it's got higher mileage.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Along the same lines, what do you guys think of year vs miles? I've found some low mileage units, sub 100k, but they're generally in the 08-09 range, whereas the 2012-2014s I've found are higher up towards the 120,000-160,000 mile range. Not sure if it's worth snagging a '14 even though it's got higher mileage.
How is the pricing?

IMO, I'd opt for a 6L80 trans no matter what you choose, so '09 and newer. Really depends on the price and condition too though. How much are you willing to throw at it to get it how you want it? Or are you content with driving it as-is? I'd look at the big picture, of course the price could be an easy factor for a decision. Does your source of surplus vehicles provide any history?

FYI, I picked up my PPV as a 2010 2wd with 179k miles. The truck was super clean, so I jumped on it and have been happy as can be with it. I was also given a complete history of this Tahoe from they day they installed the LED's, radios, etc......until its last servicing. Every oil change, brake job, tire replacement, etc......is included.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is the pricing?

IMO, I'd opt for a 6L80 trans no matter what you choose, so '09 and newer. Really depends on the price and condition too though. How much are you willing to throw at it to get it how you want it? Or are you content with driving it as-is? I'd look at the big picture, of course the price could be an easy factor for a decision. Does your source of surplus vehicles provide any history?

FYI, I picked up my PPV as a 2010 2wd with 179k miles. The truck was super clean, so I jumped on it and have been happy as can be with it. I was also given a complete history of this Tahoe from they day they installed the LED's, radios, etc......until its last servicing. Every oil change, brake job, tire replacement, etc......is included.

Well said :)

When did you pick yours up?

SLH350

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How is the pricing?

Basically looking at a couple 2014's with anywhere from 150-179,000 miles for around 10-11 versus 09-10s with 95,000-115,000 for 8-9. All of these being ones I'd have to travel to get, there's a '10 in Red Springs NC at a ford dealer, looks like an state trooper truck with 117,000 on it but they're asking 15k which seems absolutely insane to me. I'm continuing to hound the guys at the state surplus lot hoping I can score one of the trooper retired Tahoes but with no luck so far.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well said :)

When did you pick yours up?
Got mine in April. Been happy since day one. :)
Basically looking at a couple 2014's with anywhere from 150-179,000 miles for around 10-11 versus 09-10s with 95,000-115,000 for 8-9. All of these being ones I'd have to travel to get, there's a '10 in Red Springs NC at a ford dealer, looks like an state trooper truck with 117,000 on it but they're asking 15k which seems absolutely insane to me. I'm continuing to hound the guys at the state surplus lot hoping I can score one of the trooper retired Tahoes but with no luck so far.
Sounds like someone picked up that one at a dealership, cleaned it up good......and stuck it to the dealership. I am sure the dealer gave them really close to book value on it, even if it was a little below......whoever sold it/traded it in made out well.

HRVA is your location, Hampton Roads? That's a little over 3 hours for a drive if you come all the way to Raleigh. Is that the surplus lot you've been talking to?

I've been told there are only a couple of handfuls of 07-14 Tahoe's left in NCSHP's active units, so the pickings are for sure slim. There usually are always some listed on their website that are on auction, but finding one on the A line (buy it now pricing) would be a gamble for you with the drive you'd have. The folks are nice up there, they can at least tell you if any Tahoe's are on the A-line. You might work it out when there is at least one on the A-line and a couple listed as an auction. I've seen a couple decent Tahoe's on auction, but the majority of them need a lot more work than what is put up on the A-line. Just so you are aware of the big variance in conditions.....

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All, I did end up picking up a '14 Tahoe PPV. Ex-OPP car with about 200K Km on it.

Truck's driving well and I've been working on it (when I can) to get it up to par. Did a transmission fluid change right away and the truck's shifting better than when I picked it up. The mechanic I took the vehicle too showed me that the rear differential fluid was clear and didn't need to be replaced right away so I'll do that down the road.

Put some gas at a station I don't normally go to and I had a P015D CEL come on. Will probably have to replace the upstream oxygen sensors sooner rather than later so I'm budgeting for that along with spark plugs. Also noticed that the oil pressure gauge only goes to the half way point (275 kPA) when on the throttle but drops when idle. I'll have to replace or clean the filter/screen right before the oil pressure sensor and replace the o-ring at the oil pump.

Apart from that the truck's been great - already put it to good use hauling some items that won't fit in my sedan. Thank you all for the earlier advice.

2011SSVHOE

I'm an egual oportunity offender
Reaction score
Apart from that the truck's been great - already put it to good use hauling some items that won't fit in my sedan. Thank you all for the earlier advice.

Aaron, got any pic,s you can post? Do ya need a center console ? I have a nice used center console for sale.
It an aftermarket one but it's big, and made for a Tahoe.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have any pics of that console?
Please post some pics if you do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442