Puddle Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigbird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where to find out how to set these up?
I have looked all thru the owners manual and can't find anything but may have missed something
The dealer had it set up so they came on when you unlocked the doors but when he tried to show me it didn't work and was too cold to stay outside to fool with it
Thanks for any help

OP
OP
Bigbird

Bigbird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what I did but they work now
Very impressive
If anyone actually knows what you do to get them to work please post it

RugbyRef

Reaction score
Apparently all you need to do is use the lock/unlock feature on your key fob. I just tried mine...works great!

OP
OP
Bigbird

Bigbird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tried that a couple of times didn't work
Changed the settings to auto fold the mirrors and then it worked

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends on if it is daytime or nighttime, the puddle lights only come on when it is dark enough outside, if you want to test the lights during the day you need to cover the sun sensor on the dash with a shirt or towel or whatever. otherwise as long as approach lighting is enabled then they should work.

OP
OP
Bigbird

Bigbird

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Still trying to figure this out
It works ok once when I unlock the doors the GMC lights and running board lights come on
After the first time I can't make it work again
I know it shouldn't be this hard to figure out

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was having the same problem with the Puddle Lights (Approach Lighting). Followed the instructions in the 2013 Tahoe owners manual page 5-48 for setting up the APPROACH LIGHTING. Did it twice to make sure that I had it correct At first I thought it was the new LED bulbs I put in. so I put the old bulbs back in, still did not work. Then I wondered if the Viper Alarm system key fob had anything to do with it. So I took the factory GM key fob and BAM , works perfect. SO now I have to get with my installer to see if there is a setting on the Viper Fob to let the approach lighting feature to work. Setting here shaking my head, talk about stupid, I had the Viper installed when the truck was new in 2013 and never even thought about the 'Puddle Lights' until I started replacing all the factory bulbs with LED's and the puddle lights were the last ones that I changed out. So the puddle lights have not been working since the Viper was installed. Carry on !

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was having the same problem with the Puddle Lights (Approach Lighting). Followed the instructions in the 2013 Tahoe owners manual page 5-48 for setting up the APPROACH LIGHTING. Did it twice to make sure that I had it correct At first I thought it was the new LED bulbs I put in. so I put the old bulbs back in, still did not work. Then I wondered if the Viper Alarm system key fob had anything to do with it. So I took the factory GM key fob and BAM , works perfect. SO now I have to get with my installer to see if there is a setting on the Viper Fob to let the approach lighting feature to work. Setting here shaking my head, talk about stupid, I had the Viper installed when the truck was new in 2013 and never even thought about the 'Puddle Lights' until I started replacing all the factory bulbs with LED's and the puddle lights were the last ones that I changed out. So the puddle lights have not been working since the Viper was installed. Carry on !
I have a viper alarm also, I ended up just hard wiring the puddle lights to the interior lights, the viper will turn on the interior lights so the puddle lights come as well, or whenever the door is opened.

rdhogg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a viper alarm also, I ended up just hard wiring the puddle lights to the interior lights, the viper will turn on the interior lights so the puddle lights come as well, or whenever the door is opened.
Great idea, where did you tie into the interior light wiring ? I m so tired of digging for wires under the dash, I just finished the 'ALL On' jumper for the Hi/Lo Fog lights and my hobbit hands were hard to get that done, ha. is there a fuse that you tied into.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu