Properly supporting vehicle for oil pan gasket change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dreeveal

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2005 Escalade ESV AWD

I am going to change the oil pan gasket, and I've seen how you need to drop the front differential at least partially to be able to remove the oil pan. There is also a flat steel crossmember that is in the way that seems like it will need to come out, and maybe some of the steering components.

Can you support the vehicle simply with front wheels on ramps, or does the vehicle need to be supported by the frame since you are loosening/removing front axle and frame components?

Thanks -

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You’re gonna want to put it on jack stsnds and pull the wheels, then use your jack to lower/ raise the diff.

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am planning on doing the same to an 04 Tahoe in a couple weeks. From what it looks like you can leave the wheels on, no need to pull them that I can tell. It will have to be supported under the frame by jack stands so the differential will lower the few inches required to remove the pan, just make sure the jack is under the front diff when disconnecting and lowering down. Everything I've read you have to disconnect the front axle mount bolts and it lowers down the couple inches and rests on the frame.

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dreeveal, did you get around to changing your oil pan gasket? I'm shooting for Friday to start on mine, I've purchased the Felpro pan gasket and the pickup tube O-ring! Never done this before so I'll take pics and try to post them up. If there is anything else I need to be aware of please let me know and likewise!

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
Bigbertha78, How did it go? I need to do this to my 02 Z71 soon. Do you need an alignment or anything after you get everything buttoned back up?

Bigbertha78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Changed the pan gasket and the O-ring, went to install everything and the corner of the oil pan you the filter broke off, so I have a new oil pan installed now! It was a lot easier than I expected, only a few bolts/nuts for the axle to lower down, and there is plenty of room to remove the pan! There's no need for an alignment afterwards since everything goes right back into place and none of the steering angles were effected. Let me know how yours goes, and if you have any other questions PNWMuseumman.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Good stuff

As far as jacking a vehicle, my personal preference is either

Put vehicle on jackstands. 6 or 12 ton. You want the wide base for stability
Put the jack up to the frame, contacting with light pressure but not bearing any major weight. I'll put it close to where I'm working
Take the wheels off, slide them under the vehicle under the low points.

Same as above, but instead of taking the wheels off, I'll put some wood under the wheels to raise the clearance of the vehicle should it topple down. I have some stacks of ~2ft square plywood glued together with a lip made of 2x4. I'm a little too big to get under some of the lower points at stock height. If it fell, I wouldn't die from trauma, I'd die from not being able to breathe. Can lower it onto the wood or not. Depends how much clearance I need

Why this instead of ramps? Well... I'm not a fan of them. Thing 1. is the truck can roll off. Thing 2. I'm not pleased with the construction quality of any I've found yet. I don't trust them not to buckle or shatter.

You could argue whether or not it's overkill but when it comes to taking another minute or 2 to insure I won't die if something goes wrong, I do it.

PNWMuseumman

Bow Ties Are Cool
Reaction score
Changed the pan gasket and the O-ring, went to install everything and the corner of the oil pan you the filter broke off, so I have a new oil pan installed now! It was a lot easier than I expected, only a few bolts/nuts for the axle to lower down, and there is plenty of room to remove the pan! There's no need for an alignment afterwards since everything goes right back into place and none of the steering angles were effected. Let me know how yours goes, and if you have any other questions PNWMuseumman.

I am currently working through this project, I'm doing the oil pump as well so I'm dismantling the front of the engine to get to the timing chain cover (super fun so far...) I tried dropping the axel last night, I took the two nuts and washers off of the passenger side, and as far as I can tell there are only two other bolt/nuts holding the actual dif case up there, do both of those need to come off as well? I know at some point I saw pictures on here of what to loosen/remove, but I can't for the life of me find that thread now.

Thanks for your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic