Project... Dumpster Fire? Crispy Cart? Burnt Up to Turn't Up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is your problem. Says it right there US Battery. Lost 4 custom carts at once all burned to the ground and half of our house at 3am. All the carts had new US Battery 8 volts. Fire marshals determined that the batteries in on the carts was the cause. Not plugged in or anything. Just sitting in the driveway with for sale signs on them.

Terrible.

The story I got from the small time cart dealer that sold it to me was that the guy he bought it from replaced two of the batteries (the two US Battery ones). He finger-tightened the cables and never put a wrench to 'em. Maybe he got distracted? Kids went for a ride (so they're not gonna pay attention to odd power issues or smells) then parked it, where it soon blazed up afterwards.

I now have 5 Trojan T-1275s that all seem to be pretty good. Currently charging them individually to try to get them all to the same starting point. I'm a noob at this so I welcome any input you may have. Or any Alltrax 400-500 amp controllers you may have. lol

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This weekend I tossed everything together to attempt a test run to see if the controller was any good. I don't think it is. When I put the "TOW/RUN" switch to "RUN" and turned on the key (actually shorted the wires since the switch doesn't work), I heard a crackling inside the controller, very much like electronics sizzling. I flipped the F-N-R switch to Forward and pressed the pedal and noting happened. Flipped it to Reverse and the buzzer sounded. Pressed the pedal and the wheels began spinning backwards. Slowly pressed the pedal more and they sped up accordingly. Somewhere around half-throttle, they lost power and stopped. Never got them to move again. Tried the OBC reset a couple of times then thought maybe the batteries were to low and the controller shut it down, so I charged 'em for a couple hours. Made no difference. I think the controller was roached and that little five second run finished it off. I'll isolate and check the motor as best as I can when I get a chance. It's just checking impedance or continuity across terminals and case. But I really think the OBC is good and the controller is bad.

Then, while I was working on it, my grandma from Florida called. After I told her what I was doing, she offered to sell or give me her '08 Yamaha Drive. She said they have barely used it in a year. So, when we go to Florida for Thanksgiving, I may be taking the Tahoe and dragging my trailer. This means the Club Car is on hold so I can get the Tahoe and trailer ready for a 1,500+ mile drive.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Then, while I was working on it, my grandma from Florida called. After I told her what I was doing, she offered to sell or give me her '08 Yamaha Drive. She said they have barely used it in a year. So, when we go to Florida for Thanksgiving, I may be taking the Tahoe and dragging my trailer. This means the Club Car is on hold so I can get the Tahoe and trailer ready for a 1,500+ mile drive.

And what does grandpa think about this deal? LOL

OP
OP
iamdub

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And what does grandpa think about this deal? LOL

Actually, she put him on the phone to talk the deal. He said he was gonna sell it about a year ago when they got the batteries put in it (four 12V Trojans), but the dealer/service shop lowballed him at $1,500. Now he's telling me to just "give him whatever". He really doesn't care and isn't one to just say "take it", even though he'd happily gift it to me.

I wasn't much in the market for a cart in the first place and only got the Club Car cuz it was a good deal on a fun project. So, it's surely not in my budget to buy a complete running cart, especially one from Florida, unless it's free or damned-near free.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts