Programming mileage in a replacement cluster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Nah - It probably has a disclaimer saying don't use it to cheat or lie.;)

Any time you sell a vehicle you have to make an odometer disclosure.
Oh, well--in that case it's very trustworthy then :rolleyes:.
Lol! I grew up in Jersey, and New York was literally 20 mins away so I "learned" alot growing up. It's not as easy as it used to be--but sometimes it's easier. Those disclosure forms aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Especially if you're not the original owner, and you're selling it.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, well--in that case it's very trustworthy then :rolleyes:.
Lol! I grew up in Jersey, and New York was literally 20 mins away so I "learned" alot growing up. It's not as easy as it used to be--but sometimes it's easier. Those disclosure forms aren't worth the paper they're printed on. Especially if you're not the original owner, and you're selling it.
DMV tracks mileage (at least here) so it’s obvious if it’s been rolled back. The disclosure and mileage is on the title, and you have to sign the title stating it’s a felony to knowingly falsify mileage. So when you buy the vehicle you see the prior sale date and what the mileage was at that time. If you want to sell your vehicle you’d better make sure it looks legit or the buyer will back out. Don’t know about Jersey lol.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know what it takes to be able to do it yourself? What sort of tech or device is necessary to do this on a 99-02 or 03-06 cluster? I'm thinking about buying an Escalade cluster but want to be able to program my actual mileage into it before installing it. I am familiar with all the dash rebuilders that can do it as a service, but I'm wondering about being able to do it on my own. Most rebuilders want $80+ to program mileage and are hard pushing a full rebuild for $250+. Not really interested in that option. Thanks in advance.
normally the chip is pulled off and put into a eeprom and adjusted on a computer then reinstalled

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
In Colorado you have a choice on a title. You disclose the mileage, then check one of three boxes:

upload_2021-1-21_22-37-23.png

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
DMV tracks mileage (at least here) so it’s obvious if it’s been rolled back. The disclosure and mileage is on the title, and you have to sign the title stating it’s a felony to knowingly falsify mileage. So when you buy the vehicle you see the prior sale date and what the mileage was at that time. If you want to sell your vehicle you’d better make sure it looks legit or the buyer will back out. Don’t know about Jersey lol.
Still--there's so many ways around this. Especially if you do alot of highway driving, where you're not constantly getting in and out causing wear and tear on the rug area, seat, peddles, armrest etc. I know some people who drive over 75k a year--of course all highway. Registration is once a year here--so--instead of that 75k, that person can clock the odometer to 10-12k before the next inspection--that's how Jersey keeps track of your mileage--or a shop that reports to Carfax. So that person just lost 60-63k, and if it's all highway driving it's not the same wear and tear. I've personally seen cars with well over 200k that are only a few years old, and they look like they had 50k or less on them. So all I'm saying is there's ways around it.

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Multiple ways to do it... to bad your too far away. I only charge $40 to reprogram mileage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DP2024