problem with Napa alternators?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hepp04hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey all I am going thru napa alternators like crazy! I have been thru 3 since February! the first one bearing seized up, not even 2 months after install. 2nd one quit charging about 2 months ago and now 3rd one just seized up as well. anyone else having these problems? I'm dumb founded and getting tired of changing alternators, and when bearing seizes belts.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haven’t had to replace my alternator yet. But NAPA starters are junk. I made the mistake of buying one. They come with a lifetime warranty because they’re known to fail. First replacement lasted about a year. I’m on my second one. They swapped it at no charge with receipt. I don’t know about their alternators but I wouldn’t be surprised if their alternators are junk like their starters are......

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
get one from autozone at least there "duralast" are a rebuilt oem and has a lifetime warranty.

OP
OP
H

hepp04hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How's your battery?

red top that was put in last February when the oem alternator locked up. however not sure how a battery would make bearing seize?

I talked to the guy at the parts counter and I got another alt free, which is part of a lifetime warranty I had to argue about with another associate until this guy showed up, he said it's a ****** alt design due to clutch in the alt? idk about that sounds like bs to me but I guess as long as keep warranty them. it's the only parts store in my town so I am kind of stuck with them, or so it feels. the oem alternator made it 135,000 and 14 years maybe I need to find a genuine oem?

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just order a good one from rockauto your bound to have one fail leaving you stranded somewhere. or order it from a different parts store and have it shipped to tou.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
red top that was put in last February when the oem alternator locked up. however not sure how a battery would make bearing seize?

I talked to the guy at the parts counter and I got another alt free, which is part of a lifetime warranty I had to argue about with another associate until this guy showed up, he said it's a ****** alt design due to clutch in the alt? idk about that sounds like bs to me but I guess as long as keep warranty them. it's the only parts store in my town so I am kind of stuck with them, or so it feels. the oem alternator made it 135,000 and 14 years maybe I need to find a genuine oem?
Sounds just like the story I got with their starter. I’m in the same boat although I have a Carquest as well here in the mountains where I live. But I think your best bet would be to order a better brand when you have the funds like ACdelco replacement.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side

Could very well be the case. Some alternators have a sprag clutch in them

As to the battery: This is an alternator off a passenger car. It's not meant to run at 100% load all the time. It just doesn't have the ability to dissipate that much heat. If your battery is bad, or you have a parasitic draw that runs your battery down, you will overwork your alt.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
Your not the only one. Customers that choose to use aftermarket seem to have a higher failure rate. I installed many on all different types of Hondas and sometimes they fail, seize or even cause battery charging light on the gauge even though it’s charging properly

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
The bearing being used in the re pop replacements are not up to spec. I spoke to an alt remanufacture shop in LA who stated the parts used are requested by the retailers.

That shop upgraded a Bosch 90 amp alt to 140 with SKF bearings. Problem solved on the alt lasting only 12 mo. That was a 28 year old supercharged German car. GM wants $4-500h for an oem alt, lol!

Reach out to some of the online rebuild shops to see if they’ll make you a one off alt from a good core using SKF bearings. *** makes a good bearing but their inundated with counterfeits and hard as hell to distinguish from the fakes.

Make a few calls and pass on any good info you find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckner0121

Latest posts