proactive instead of reactive - another AFM delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
cplurbz

cplurbz

Reaction score
yea i think i just thought about why as i sit here, i capped the pressure relief in the pan so now im just running on the one in the pump so it would make sense to me why im seeing a little above normal.

gonna put the 100 mile run on it the next two days to work and change the oil one more time before resuming the 5k oil changes. if it makes it thru the next two days without issue ill call it good.

either way ill be back to say my thanks or panic post.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those pressures are excellent. Definitely not low and nowhere near too high.

Mine used to kiss 80 at 6,000 RPM. I changed up my oil formulation to yield a 10W-40 equivalent and now it maxes out in the 70s. I hit 6000 RPM a lot.
@iamdub is it a problem to only have 40psi oil pressure at 6,000rpms?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iamdub is it a problem to only have 40psi oil pressure at 6,000rpms?

Can't say it's a problem. But it's kind of odd. First off, this is assuming these are confirmed pressures and not strictly by the factory gauge. It's borderline low by GM's 6 psi per 1,000 minimum. How are the pressures at lower RPM, like hot idle and cruising (~1,700-2,200 RPM) ? Does it drop at the higher RPM? Was it higher or lower anywhere before any major engine work?

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
I've sometimes wondered why the Loctite bottles aren't the color (or clear) of the Loctite itself. Red bottle, blue Loctite? :confused:

I always wondered the same thing.
I'm sure they have some system that makes total sense internally. :jester:

They do have "Green" Loctite, but I think it still comes in a red bottle and a green bar on it. :disgust:

I also have a bottle of "Blue" that's in a blue bottle.
but the red stuff with the blue stripe is much better and more resistant to chemicals and oils or something.... :hahano:

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't say it's a problem. But it's kind of odd. First off, this is assuming these are confirmed pressures and not strictly by the factory gauge. It's borderline low by GM's 6 psi per 1,000 minimum. How are the pressures at lower RPM, like hot idle and cruising (~1,700-2,200 RPM) ? Does it drop at the higher RPM? Was it higher or lower anywhere before any major engine work?
@iamdub This going off my gauge with a new AcDelco sending unit that I installed during my AFM delete, along with a standard volume oil pump.

At hot idle its about 20 and under load goes up to 40. I think this new sending unit isn't as good as my old one because the gauge seems to be sluggish now and getting higher in the RPM range the oil pressure gauge seems to stay at 40 maybe goes up to 45.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@iamdub This going off my gauge with a new AcDelco sending unit that I installed during my AFM delete, along with a standard volume oil pump.

At hot idle its about 20 and under load goes up to 40. I think this new sending unit isn't as good as my old one because the gauge seems to be sluggish now and getting higher in the RPM range the oil pressure gauge seems to stay at 40 maybe goes up to 45.

So are the pressures lower than before immediately following the delete? Why do I feel we discussed this before...

It's possible the sensor isn't reading the same. There's been too many changes to nail down the culprit. A mechanical gauge would be the first step before stressing out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT