proactive instead of reactive - another AFM delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
cplurbz

cplurbz

Reaction score
@cplurbz For what its worth, the delphi LS7 style lifters seem good to me. All of the parts that came in my Texas Speed AFM delete kit seemed good quality, the lifter trays were legit and nice and tight and held the lifters very snug. They tried to sell me on the LM7 cam but I came here and did my own research and yea the L33 seems to be the move. More details can be found in my signature.

One thing I wanted to mention to you is to get a new camshaft thrust plate when you swap your cam.

yea and those delphis were to my understanding good enough stock replacement, as my forte lies withing rebuilding and moding v-twin engines, self doubt creeps in when i learn of others apprehensions to my parts list, which is the whole reason for posting it. plus, it is within my family's blood to "do everything right and still fail." so if shelling out more to hedge my bet, fine.

and i hear ya on the cam plate. im getting a mahle B31822 with ARP bolts from Summit.

OP
OP
cplurbz

cplurbz

Reaction score
hey guys, work has commenced and it is torn down to the point it needs to be to start the cleaning then the reassy.

the only question i have at this point is, what the hell is this black, in the way thing and do i need it?

20221218_094541.jpg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
hey guys, work has commenced and it is torn down to the point it needs to be to start the cleaning then the reassy.

the only question i have at this point is, what the hell is this black, in the way thing and do i need it?

View attachment 387678

In the event of a front end collision it's meant to keep the fuel rail from breaking off on the firewall. Fire prevention.

OP
OP
cplurbz

cplurbz

Reaction score
onwards and upwards, i come to the second question with second guessing

so this single piece of plastic thats not touching the chain at all-

20221218_140904.jpg

is the only thing thats supposed to go there to replace this cute little OG setup that gently nuzzled against it?

20221218_113951.jpg

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 387678

In the event of a front end collision it's meant to keep the fuel rail from breaking off on the firewall. Fire prevention.

That's been driving me nuts too, thanks for the education @Fless .

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well on the fuel line bracket, I figured it was there just keep stuff "in place", maybe
during assembly or something... I did Not put mine back on when I had the heads off..
On the timing chain, Yes that's it.. The plastic rubbing type eventually wears off
and spits shit into the engine... But yours looks "loose" (the chain) to me...
If I were this far on yours I'd put a new OE chain on for sure. Doesn't have to be
a GM brand, but just an oe replacement

To add, the LS2 "bowtie" chain tension is just to keep it from Whipping when
accel or decel, not to keep "slack" out of it like the orig

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9