PRNDL Fuse #20 Blows Ignition Switched On

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

PRNDL Fuse #20 Blows Ignition Switched On​

1997 Yukon 5.7L Vortec 4WD
As soon as ignition is switched to ON, PRNDL Fuse #20 Blows.
Dash gauges stop working, transmission goes into limp mode.
Situation developed while driving (noticed speedo stopped, and transmission in Drive would not downshift, had to manually shift through gears).

Entire gauge cluster was disconnected, condition same (short not in gauge cluster).

Last edited:

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Refer to factory service manual, Troubleshooting or wiring diagrams to narrow your problem area search.
I don't remember if that system runs thru the tilt steering column as a short location. Good luck and keep posting results and more questions.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me will chime in.

OP
OP
S

Spey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Appreciate the replies.
Not sure how posting "Pics of the truck, please." would be of any use related to troubleshooting current situ ?

Hoping for some replies to troubleshooting procedures.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Careful new guy, you don't want Joe angry with you! He has a wealth of useful info for you if you ask the right question.

For troubleshooting see other links. But start here.

If you have questions about testing, post the wiring diagram you are using. Then we are all on same page. The manuals provide a very good logical troubleshooting guide and cross reference trouble codes too.
As I said above- Narrow your question. Does tilting the column change it? Post diagram for fuse 20 wiring if you need help. Every problem is its own, but similar to many. We could give you 35 things to try, but troubleshooting will narrow it to 2 or three for closer look.