Premier Vs RST

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SSGUNNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree on getting the premier now. I have the RST and as far as the interior goes i think that may be the hardest part in getting it close to an RST. Personally i prefer the non wood on the RST but, Everything else like others have said it’ll be cheaper to mod it to your liking than trading it and swapping for an RST.

beefcake83

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I would just jump on the premier due to availability. I have an RST and while I love it I wouldn’t wait for it over a premier if I needed it now. I went with the sport package so I have the 6.2 and the MRC. I am really only missing the hud and cooled seats. Originally I wanted the premier, but my wife wanted the RST, so we got the RST and I optioned it to my liking.

The premier will generally hold its value better than an RST though so that might be another thing to think about.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t tell if the wood grain in my Tahoe Z-71 is plastic or wood, but assume that it is plastic. I don’t know how GM wood panels are made but believe some of the posters here are just guessing or giving their unqualified opinion.

Not a GM, but on each of our past 3 Infinitis, the wood was 100% real wood through and through. It was not a veneer nor was there any MDF or plywood underlayment. There was a recall of a wood panel on a front door, so I got to look at the old and replacement parts very closely. The back side was 100% the same wood and grain pattern as the front, just unfinished. The finished side was very hard and durable, would not easily scratch and near impossible to stain.

K Whitman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all-

First time poster, long time lurker, in desperate need of your insight/opinions.

I have been trying to get my hands on a 2022 RST for months to no avail. With a baby on the way early fall I decided to just move forward and place an order. The RST appeals to me as I’m not a fan of chrome and really love the more subtle blacked out look (black paint as well).

After reading a ton on hear and several talks with my dealer I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s very possible I don’t get the build until we’ll after baby arrives, which is fine as my Ram HD will work in the mean time. That said, my dealer called today and advised that someone backed out of their Premier build and wanted to know if I’d be interested. It is essentially the exact same build as my RST order sans the pano roof. It does come with black badges and the upgrades black gloss wheels so I’m pretty close to happy with going that route.

Just want to check in with you all on pros/cons of Premier vs RST. Perhaps things I am not thinking of? I’ve done very little research on the premier trim as I was pretty set on the RST but from what I can tell it may actually work out for the better.

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated. Thanks all.
The issue with me is that the new Tahoes are all 10-speed... which is no way a favorite of mine.... I have a '19 RST 6.2 full equip, 8-speed and its friggin fast and faster than the 10-speed if speed is something you like.... and the RST suspension is great, not the smoothest ride but so what! If I had a choice today like yours, it would be the premium and then black it out... just saying.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can’t tell if the wood grain in my Tahoe Z-71 is plastic or wood, but assume that it is plastic. I don’t know how GM wood panels are made but believe some of the posters here are just guessing or giving their unqualified opinion.

Not a GM, but on each of our past 3 Infinitis, the wood was 100% real wood through and through. It was not a veneer nor was there any MDF or plywood underlayment. There was a recall of a wood panel on a front door, so I got to look at the old and replacement parts very closely. The back side was 100% the same wood and grain pattern as the front, just unfinished. The finished side was very hard and durable, would not easily scratch and near impossible to stain.
The vast majority of "woodgrain" trim in automotive is made using hydrographic film. The panel is injection molded plastic without texture, the substrate color and film pattern combine to provide the desired appearance.

Take a look at this video to see how the process works -

Yes, there is some "real wood" trim in automotive. As already mentioned, the Denali trim uses real wood and there are other high end brands/trim levels that also use real wood. In the case of the LT/Premier trim level, those woodgrain pieces are made using hydrographics.

CASTLEDFW15

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For ny assessment I count Tahoe/Suburban into three groups.

LS/LT Fleet, volume, and commercial sales…..LT Being the more upgradeabke of the two….The ”We are thinking of getting a Tahoe models.”

RST/Z71, Similiar, sporty, but dent luxury features. Majort difference is Duramax Not Available for Z71. Sporty as in blacked out trim and accents. Take the Inlaws camping models…

Premier/HIgh Country. Luxury most upper level trim options available as either standard or optional. The. Take the in-laws out to dinner model.

JGinLA

Reaction score
We had a '16 Yukon SLT and planned on going to a '22 SLT. Then the Chevy and GMC dealerships were both sold and Tahoe became the better deal. In order to get the same options we bought six years ago, it had to be a Premier. We went red with SRM black wheels. No regrets.
I may travel with a bad crowd but I don't think anyone will notice the wood. Our daughter's fiance goes speechless except for two words- "It's big."

OP
OP
Tahoe5280

Tahoe5280

Reaction score
Dont know how long you intend on keeping it. But here is my .02

5 years or more.... RST order, yeah the idea of buying the Premier and trading in isnt bad but taxes etc you will get your fudge packed for about 5 to 10k I think depending on your states tax laws etc.

2-5 Years

Get what you can actually get right now. Make it yours... Instead of silver trim over the grain, Id suggest something like black chrome wrap or body color. Wraps can be removed so when you sell its stock as build sheet and you get a few hundred more.

Exterior, wrap or exchange to get the blacked out look your after. You can buy the RST grill OEM and swap it, wheels easy swap at dealer. Mirror caps as mentioned above.

I think you get more out of the premier trim than the RST bang for buck since most RST are LT trims upgraded. If you love the RST badge. Do the work and put the RST badge on there too.

All in all, sometimes making your ride what you want vs what the factory packages can give is rewarding, sometimes cheaper, but alot more fine tuned and you stand out from the crowd etc.

All on what you want and evidently your not pinching pennies here so two roads... Premier it and make it yours, or order what you want and get it in a year. If worried about interest rates then Id suggest grabbing that Premier now. I got my Burb Last sept at 2.85%, they are raising interest rates to curb inflation as we speak so do what suits you best and your family man.
Thanks for this. Helpful. Do you know or does anyone have a link to the black side mirror caps for a '22 Tahoe? I will definitely need to order those if I go the Premier route.
Did think about the RST grill swap...wonder how difficult that would be vs just wrapping...

selectsplat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I switched my Oder from an RST to a High Country for nearly the same reason.

The wood trim honestly isn’t very noticeable either way.

Also, I didn’t realize it at the time I ordered, but the HUD is one of my favorite features. Also, the adaptive cruise is pretty sweet paired with lane assist. You won’t be disappointed with these extra features.

Also, I’m getting my exterior chrome blacked out next week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972