Pre-Loaded Strut/Spring : Parts to Make My Own

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
The_Burban

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Part numbers seen above.

I do not believe four rear insulators (rubber pads) are needed. Only two.

I am not auto-ride and do not need resistors.

I am also using lower spacers from Rough Country to provide lift rather than using the Bilsteins. They will be at lowest ring, stock height.

If you want to preload like I did you will not be able to purchase new the front assembly's lower spring PERCH - there is no PN, it is not a stand alone piece.

OP
OP
The_Burban

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Learned my tool chest is suited for passenger cars and not full size SUVs. Need to get some bigger sockets and wrenches.

Today was not - though I was hoping it would be - the day for suspension.

daddyrim

Reaction score
How necessary is the airbags? I tow on the very odd occasion only at this point, wondering if its worth it or if you keep them semi-inflated on a normal basis for ride comfort?

fireburban

Reaction score
How necessary is the airbags? I tow on the very odd occasion only at this point, wondering if its worth it or if you keep them semi-inflated on a normal basis for ride comfort?

Yeah I added them for towing, as I haul a 10k lb dump trailer and my 32ft camper (6000lbs) on a regular basis. I'd say if you don't tow, then skip that part. But the one time you hook up to something, and if it's heavy you'll wish you had them, ass down, face up.

It was easy to install them though, soak the bags in hot water for 10 mins before shoving them through the springs. Done this many times over the years with a few drag cars. Although I will say they don't totally level the rear end when towing, they do help, which is why they must be called "helper" springs!

In the beginning of my suspension swap, I was going to try and hook the air bags up to the factory air compressor (Z55/Autoride on LTZ Models), so when I did tow it would air them up for me, but I didn't end up getting enough motivation to try and make that work.

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
The_Burban

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fronts in. All is such a mess. Today, three bolts snapped off. Simple job made very strenuous.

I have no way to get the RC spacer installed. The Z71 spring and fresh Bilstein make for a taller assembly and just barely fit in!

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went through this back in February. I completely replaced my front suspension (UCAs/LCAs, Strut assemblies, knuckles, tie-rod ends, sway bar links, all bolts and bushings) and started out going the Bilstein 5100 route. Once I found out that i'd need to buy replacement struts in order to get the lower perches (mine were permanently rust-welded to the OE units), and read about all the issues with the little c-clips that hold those perches shearing off, I bailed on Bilstein and went with the Rancho RS9000 Quicklift. Best decision ever.

But i'm with you on the everything-breaking thing...on my truck everything was rusted to everything else. The only tools that worked for tear-down were a sawzall, angle-grinder, and cutting torch. I POR15'ed everything before re-assembly so hopefully it won't happen again.

OP
OP
The_Burban

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went through this back in February. I completely replaced my front suspension (UCAs/LCAs, Strut assemblies, knuckles, tie-rod ends, sway bar links, all bolts and bushings) and started out going the Bilstein 5100 route. Once I found out that i'd need to buy replacement struts in order to get the lower perches (mine were permanently rust-welded to the OE units), and read about all the issues with the little c-clips that hold those perches shearing off, I bailed on Bilstein and went with the Rancho RS9000 Quicklift. Best decision ever.

But i'm with you on the everything-breaking thing...on my truck everything was rusted to everything else. The only tools that worked for tear-down were a sawzall, angle-grinder, and cutting torch. I POR15'ed everything before re-assembly so hopefully it won't happen again.

I had given Rancho a look but couldnt find good or bad. Coming from the BMW and VW scene, I was familiar with Bilstein.

Looking back, I amwondering why not just new arms, etc like you did. $$$ is likely one factor but I'd prefer to make it a one time ordeal.

My M18 1/2 Fuel HiTorque Impact can do some damage.. too much on occasion.

The Raven

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had given Rancho a look but couldnt find good or bad. Coming from the BMW and VW scene, I was familiar with Bilstein.

Looking back, I amwondering why not just new arms, etc like you did. $$$ is likely one factor but I'd prefer to make it a one time ordeal.

My M18 1/2 Fuel HiTorque Impact can do some damage.. too much on occasion.

I've had great experience with Bilstein up until now. I will say this - the 5100's definitely have a more quality feel to them than the RS9000's...but the 5100's complexity of install combined with the c-clip failures and lack of adjustable damping made the Rancho's difficult to pass up.

I replaced everything for exactly the reason you cite - once and done. Now I won't have to worry about it again in the time i'll own it.

I have the exact same impact as you...it was useless tearing down my suspension. Not it's fault though - the camber/caster bolts were permanently rust-welded to the UCA bushing sleeves...nothing was getting those things out the right way. It was a great help with the re-assembly process though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts