Pre-Loaded Strut/Spring : Parts to Make My Own

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
The_Burban

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Their warranty guy is doing his job to deny everything. Seems perfection flows from Bilstein and stops at their door.

I question a piece of equipment that is to support my multiple ton family vehicle but cannot have a brand new GM top nut installed.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just realize that last part you listed is the strut (shock, spring perch, bump stop cap and nut). I already had the Bilstein 5100s. So I had to buy that part just to get the spring perch piece.

But yes, if you want to go that route you can. Keeping all things stock, mind as well go for a monroe type pre-loaded strut. Do the whole front end for $200. At the dealer you are looking at $400 per front ordering number by number.

Now, seems the shop may be in the clear. In person review presented itself much differently than understood on phone. I am going to fight for Bilstein to warranty.

I've never had Monroe parts last more than a couple of years. The OE stuff is ten years old and still going strong on mine. The pre-assembled struts are not the same quality.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm glad you say that. It makes all that I'm going through right now seem worth it in the end.

View attachment 222724
Unless you put them 5100’s on 1st notch or ‘stock ride height’ I believe you’re gonna have problems getting them to fit with that spacer, as a matter of fact if those are z71 springs, with the 5100’s on stock height, your gonna be higher than you think and your angles are gonna be too much without new uca’s if you’re 4wd.

I like it tho.

fireburban

Reaction score
Unless you put them 5100’s on 1st notch or ‘stock ride height’ I believe you’re gonna have problems getting them to fit with that spacer, as a matter of fact if those are z71 springs, with the 5100’s on stock height, your gonna be higher than you think and your angles are gonna be too much without new uca’s if you’re 4wd.

I like it tho.

I have the Z71 springs in the rear, with 5100's but 1 in longer stroke than oem.

Stock springs w 80k mi. on the struts, 2nd rung on the 5100's also. I run the 2.5 CCM top of strut spacer as well. Had an alignment done after the shop swapped my struts.

Rides great, couldn't be happier! No angle issues as of yet.

So are you talking Z71 springs in the struts as well? Guess I didn't hear of them being taller or longer on the front, only the rear? Interested...

Last edited:

fireburban

Reaction score
Their warranty guy is doing his job to deny everything. Seems perfection flows from Bilstein and stops at their door.

I question a piece of equipment that is to support my multiple ton family vehicle but cannot have a brand new GM top nut installed.

Honestly I'd look at the shop for replacement. They screwed up and over tightened that nut, which made the rod snap.

Of course they don't want to replace it. It eats up their profit. Not your problem though.

If I was you I'd be getting that shop to buy you a new Bilstien! My 2 cents.

Then put them together yourself or another reputable shop.

I wouldn't be surprised to see you will have trouble getting that nut off of the one they did complete. I'm betting they did the same with that one.

Sorry to hear the issues, good luck!

OP
OP
The_Burban

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly I'd look at the shop for replacement. They screwed up and over tightened that nut, which made the rod snap.

Of course they don't want to replace it. It eats up their profit. Not your problem though.

If I was you I'd be getting that shop to buy you a new Bilstien! My 2 cents.

Then put them together yourself or another reputable shop.

I wouldn't be surprised to see you will have trouble getting that nut off of the one they did complete. I'm betting they did the same with that one.

Sorry to hear the issues, good luck!
Well, they were trying to help me out. Original shop said they no longer did light truck suspension. A phone call later, guy there said he is waiting for you.

It was a favor... That snapped my strut.

OP
OP
The_Burban

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Getting there... And a few other parts...

Now just need a day... Or weekend.

IMG_20190514_185932.jpg

eBay seller of Bilstein set is trying to help w replacement.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts