Pre-Loaded Strut/Spring : Parts to Make My Own

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fireburban

Reaction score
I used the Mcpherson 2 piece strut compressor clamps (rent from local auto store) the first go round. This time I'm having a shop do it with their strut machine.

OP
OP
The_Burban

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One shop uses the Branick wall mounted .. not the newest ...

If this shop cannot I'll go to a truck speciality shop. One big one in the area services Medium to heavy duty trucks, from RVs to big rigs.

OP
OP
The_Burban

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is really adding up to be a pain in the ass.

GM does not sell the lower spring perch separately. I cannot find a Moog/aftermarket part (K160311?).

So, going to need to tear apart my current assembly or buy a new strut from GM just to harvest the perch.

Called Bilstein. They know it is an issue. A majority of their other front struts have perches welded to the tube. The 5100s do not. Looking at the Silverado forums, same problems realized.

I may have some brand new front struts for sale without lower spring seats. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
The_Burban

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, this has become a conversation for my self with myself.

I noticed some threads here don't wrap up. I like closure and will see this through so others may learn something, even if it is nothing.

AC Delco front struts. Popped off the bump stop plates and stole the spring perches. Those spring perches are now in the 5100s.

I could not find aftermarket spring perches. What may have been offerings by Moog really seem to be the nylon isolators which sandwich between the perch and spring coil.

This has been an expensive suspension job. After 10 years and 110k miles I know it is needed. I am confident it will make a big, positive difference.

All parts are now in hand. Finally!

Tomorrow I shall get them assembled.

OP
OP
The_Burban

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy shit.

First shop couldn't do it. Second shop no longer services light duty trucks. Third shop, at recommendation of second shop, does the ... well...

I get a call: first one is done... the second one.. well the strut just sheered off.

Bilstein does not cover install screw ups. In an effort to save a tiny bit of work, hit the ******* thing with an impact.. spun the rod loose.

This is why I prefer to do ALL this myself. I am sorry for having to rely on an auto repair shop to do something they should be able to do in their sleep.

Now I got to wonder how f'ed up the other shock is that they lucked out on loading.

I'd been better buying my own spring compressor tool now that I am in this deep.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the upper.

95ae900c54c84014241df3cddc2843ab.png
I was in need of the lower.

Ok, sorry.

This is my list of parts, anything missing?

Nut, Top 11561435
Mount, Shock Absorber 25869477
Coil Spring Seat 15803177
Bumper, Front Strut 20982216
Spring Insulator, Upper 15840291
Front Coil Spring Set 25876861
Spring Insulator, Lower 15808594
Front Strut 20765171

Your experience is why I'm buying my own spring compressor when the time comes.

OP
OP
The_Burban

The_Burban

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just realize that last part you listed is the strut (shock, spring perch, bump stop cap and nut). I already had the Bilstein 5100s. So I had to buy that part just to get the spring perch piece.

But yes, if you want to go that route you can. Keeping all things stock, mind as well go for a monroe type pre-loaded strut. Do the whole front end for $200. At the dealer you are looking at $400 per front ordering number by number.

Now, seems the shop may be in the clear. In person review presented itself much differently than understood on phone. I am going to fight for Bilstein to warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14