PPV Transmission vs Civilian

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m reading description for my 2016 Tahoe PPV and I have a question if for the civilian Tahoe transmission is calibrated same way? Anyone knows? Might be guys who make custom tunes would know ?

“Enhanced calibration 6-speed automatic with overdrive and tow/haul mode. Electronically-controlled transmission provides protection against over-revving the engine in low gear and a mechanical low gear blockout is not required; if a driver manually selects low gear and fails to manually upshift to high gear, the powertrain control module automatically protects the drivetrain. The transmission is calibrated to maintain lower gears when driving aggressively. This enhances vehicle control while driving through corners and when throttling up to exit a corner, keeping the transmission in one gear instead of upshifting and downshifting avoids "hunting" for a gear state”

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every enhancement spelled out in that paragraph is unique to the PPV. So no, the civilian Tahoe is not calibrated the same way.

I drive a 2015 PPV at work and a 2016 Suburban at home. They're close but the PPV calibration is ever so slightly more aggressive, in every way outlined in that blurb you posted.

Keep in mind these are just computer *calibration* changes. The actual transmissions, I believe, are identical between civilian and PPV/SSV models.

OP
OP
Tim10

Tim10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Every enhancement spelled out in that paragraph is unique to the PPV. So no, the civilian Tahoe is not calibrated the same way.

I drive a 2015 PPV at work and a 2016 Suburban at home. They're close but the PPV calibration is ever so slightly more aggressive, in every way outlined in that blurb you posted.

Keep in mind these are just computer *calibration* changes. The actual transmissions, I believe, are identical between civilian and PPV/SSV models.

Agree. what about MPG? How it's different between your Suburban and Tahoe?

Prospect62

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...the Tahoe gets pushed pretty hard so the MPG sucks. Always. I think it said about 9 or 10 when I looked at it last.

I think the Tahoe has 3.42 gears as well, while my Suburban has 3.08's. Kind of hard to compare the two really. The Tahoe is a different animal driven in a different way, and it's much lighter than the Burb.

My Suburban gets about 12.4 city, I don't do much highway. I attribute that number to cold temperatures here, lots of idling and winter blend fuel. I would imagine that my Burb mileage will get better - maybe 15-16 MPG when the warmer weather hits Central New York State.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's my understanding that PPVs also have 3.08 gears and the SSV has 3.42 gears. This was certainly the case with the GMT900s anyway. A friendly reminder, police cars are civilian vehicles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts