PPV Tow/Haul setting?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my manual needed the actual stick added ... and the knob is blank... sorta like "if you're driving this thing, you should know what you need to do" *lol* T18 out of ford 1T pickup

Eod1

If you see me running, I would try to keep up.
Reaction score
Ok so I thought I might bring this back. So don't hate on me to hard. My question is when I add a tow bumper support from a SSV to my PPV and attach the 7 way wiring harness that was tucked up in the bumper cover do I need to add a brake controller or will the hoe see that I'm pulling a trailer and compensate for it and automatically apply the electric brakes?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok so I thought I might bring this back. So don't hate on me to hard. My question is when I add a tow bumper support from a SSV to my PPV and attach the 7 way wiring harness that was tucked up in the bumper cover do I need to add a brake controller or will the hoe see that I'm pulling a trailer and compensate for it and automatically apply the electric brakes?
Nope, need a brake controller

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score

You will need a brake controller.

You will also probably want to hook up the two red wires, that are hidden in the engine compartment, to the two studs on the front of the fuse box... assuming the PPVs have the two wires like the rest of the trucks do.

One should be taped to the harness between the fuse box and fender... the other should be taped to the harness under the master cylinder.

One supplies power to the pre-wired brake controller harness that is under the drivers side of the dash... again assuming the PPVs have this.

The other supplies power to charge the battery on the trailer for the break away switch.

Also make sure to add the fuses into the under hood fuse box to supply power to the two studs you attached the wires too.

Kee Fuller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if i install the shift lever with the tow button on it and plug it up will the tahoe recognize it.

Eod1

If you see me running, I would try to keep up.
Reaction score
You will need a brake controller.

You will also probably want to hook up the two red wires, that are hidden in the engine compartment, to the two studs on the front of the fuse box... assuming the PPVs have the two wires like the rest of the trucks do.

One should be taped to the harness between the fuse box and fender... the other should be taped to the harness under the master cylinder.

One supplies power to the pre-wired brake controller harness that is under the drivers side of the dash... again assuming the PPVs have this.

The other supplies power to charge the battery on the trailer for the break away switch.

Also make sure to add the fuses into the under hood fuse box to supply power to the two studs you attached the wires too.

Ok my hoe had those wires right where you said they would be. Now I'm looking for the corresponding fuses. You wouldn't happen to know the number s would you, and what thread pitch these studs are?

Last edited:

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Ok my hoe had those wires right where you said they would be. Now I'm looking for the corresponding fuses. You wouldn't happen to know the number s would you, and what thread pitch these studs are?

Can't recall either off the top of my head but James @swathdiver can probably tell you.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can't recall either off the top of my head but James @swathdiver can probably tell you.

Don't remember the threads, maybe Pete does. @Galante

It's those two J-Case fuses right in front of the studs. Not all the trucks are wired the same but in my manual they are 63 and 68. There are others like 6, 10 and 25 that power the controller, trailer back-up lights and trailer parking lights.