Power windows work with key off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnd8695

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Alright so I have a 1999 yukon denali just bought it and the power windows still work with the key off I was wondering if anyone has ran into this problem before

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you turn off the key (or even remove it) and while you're still sitting in the seat, you press a window button and they operate? What about after you open the door?

Since the late 90s, GM has had "RAP" (Retained Accessory Power). The radio and windows are still functional for a length of time after the key is turned off. I believe this length of time is 10-15 minutes and may be programmable on newer models. The accessory power is turned off if a door is opened.

If everything still has power even after a door is opened, THEN something is wrong. Could be as simple as a faulty door pin switch, which is pretty common.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the radio still work or does it shut off? Sit in it with the key on and have the radio playing, remove the key and the radio should still play and windows still operate. Open the door- does the radio shut off? Do your dome lights come on?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checking the RAP relay would be my next course of action after ruling out the door pin switch. They are a commonly failing part with the older trucks. They're especially prone to failure on vehicles that aren't driven often. The contacts develop a light coat of corrosion and the switch doesn't work- same issue with the power mirror adjustment switches because they're rarely used. My S10 sat way more than it was driven and it was common for me to open the door and the dome light wouldn't come on. I'd grab the pin switch and jiggle it vigorously while pulling it and it would be good for a few more months. I believe there's a switch/sensor in the door lock mechanism that might be part of the RAP circuit.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if ANYTHING else works with the key off that should only be working with the key on. Stuff like AC control, wipers, turn signals, etc. If ANYTHING else works, then I would lean towards what Sunlit said and look at the ignition switch. If you are 100℅ positive that it's only the windows that have power, then it's quite possible that the previous owner rewired the main power supply to the drivers side power window switch to a constant hot wire instead of the IGN switch. Also, when you are checking everything, be sure to check all 4 doors to see if the other window switches are operating or if it's just the driver's door. If it's just the driver's door then that makes me think even MORE that it was rewired.

JimBlink

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this is an old thread, but this "problem" is exactly what I'm trying to achieve on my 2k. Except I want it on all 4 windows. This would be so awesome in mine when camping so I could put the windows down from my sleeping bag.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts