Power steering stiffens up when truck warms up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No cooler.
No trans fluid.

I just thought to call Lares and the guy said it could still be a little air in the system. Or otherwise lean toward a new pump.

He has told me to try a bleed procedure where I lift the wheels, discon fuel pump so no start, and start steering wheel in center and slowly move steering out left to right a little at a time while cranking engine over, until I finally get to full lock either way. Obviously not cranking for too long so I don't burn out the starter and checking for foam or bubbles.

I'll give that a go today/ASAP.

Thanks for the help. I'll report back.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That pretty much narrows it down to the pump. Did Lares comment on recommended fluid? I've had 100 Percent success with their rebuilds. It is a vane style pump, so likely bypassing/leaking inside when hot thin fluid used.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies.
Been on for just over a year but hardly any miles. No mention of fluid. I'll try the bleed for the hell of it. Easier than the other options.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just drove 5 miles to get some brake fluid to do my rear brakes. It's 80+ outside but steering was already getting stiff when I got home. Fluid was very hot, but no sign of air/foam in fluid.

Here's my shopping cart. Unless anyone has any better recommendations? No Delco parts available at RA.

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 2.20.28 PM.png

PS.
Happy 4th everyone

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I think you are on the right track but since you said you have had the problem for close to 2 years, since you put the new box on, I still feel there is a suspect problem there.

OP
OP
96-2D-Hoe

96-2D-Hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flushing the fluid has definitely helped a fair amount. I think I may have had this issue to a similar degree before I got fussy after I changed the box and all the steering components. But I had let it get to the point where it was kind of dangerous to drive. Not helped by a ******, lazy mechanic.
PS pump was last replaced under factory warranty apparently for leaking in 2001. It seems acceptable for the moment but it wasn't a very hot day today. PS pump replacement is in my future, along with all the other things I'd like to do. Thanks for the help.