Power steering issue help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LOWHOE775

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just got a 2002 escalade and just two days ago while I was parking my power steering went out, well half of it I think. It works when I turn left but when I turn right it's harder than a rock. Even when I'm moving 15mph it's hard to turn. There is also a hissing coming from brake booster area behind the dash as I turn right. The escalade does have the hydro boost and I will try to flush out the system today. See if that helps. I also read on the web that there is a valve that could be clogged if anyone knows where is that located on the power steering pump. Also to add to this before this happened the brakes felt a little weird when I would put my foot alll the way in the motor would bog down and I would feel a kick back on the pedal like if something was binding. This is with the vehicle stopped. Dealer I got it from said that it was fine they checked the system but idk if they really looked into it? Reason I add this is because I know that the power steering and the brake system are tied in some way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yukonese

Reaction score
Lowhoe775, you are not alone, my 01 Yukon does some similar thing, the power steering loses the power when turning right, even from the most left point. Turning left is totally fine. Fortunately, it happens only under around 3mph, basically the parking lot speed, but it makes the parking a headache. The pump(?) hisses too when turning right. The fluid level was a bit low when it happened the first time, I tried bleeding, but no help. Still looking for solutions before sending the truck to a garage.

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's hard to turn only in one direction then I would say you either have bad steering linkage or the recirculation ball mechanism in the steering gear isn't working correctly.

yukonese

Reaction score
If it's hard to turn only in one direction then I would say you either have bad steering linkage or the recirculation ball mechanism in the steering gear isn't working correctly.
My hard right turning only happens at very low speed (<5mph), once the engine revs over 1,000rpm, the power kicks in. I suspect the spool value in the gear box gets clogged or broken on one direction. If the linkage is bad, it should have nothing to do with engine speed, right?

I'm searching a remanufactured steering gear, but don't know what is my Production Code, anyone knows where to find it? Thanks.

yukonese

Reaction score
For a remanufactured steering gear box, there are 4 Production Codes to choose from, AX, LS, UT, and YK. I don't see any of them on the glove box sticker, most of codes on there are 3 characters.

yukonese

Reaction score
Finally, replaced the gear box with Cardone 278412 from rockauto.com, the problem went away.

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the update. You're a good man

TexasLou

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2000 tahoe. Same issue, except I can't turn left. Right is 100% OK (smooth, quiet, nice and easy). For quite a while, when it was cold, it would make a hydraulic noise when turning left (for years) but if you were deaf, you wouldn't know anything was wrong. If you get the rpm's up, left will kick in and work. But at low rpm's there is no power assist at all. Like turning the wheel when the engine is off. I kind of have to pump the gas a little at times to get some power assist.

The power steering pump must be fine since it does both left and right. So, I assume there is some sticky valve somewhere in the power steering gearing. I tried flushing the fluid, not really figuring it would fix anything, but it was cheap and easy, but it was, of course, a waste of time.

Does anyone have any info to add to this?

I expect that as above, the power steering gearbox needs replacing, but I would hate to go to that trouble and have it be something else.

Last edited:

Chubbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried flushing the fluid, not really figuring it would fix anything, but it was cheap and easy, but it was, of course, a waste of time.

Does anyone have any info to add to this?

I wouldn't call it a waste of time replacing the PSF for once in the vehicle's life. Any fresh hydraulic fluid or other misc lubes will be nearly transparent; when the chemical becomes nontransparent, it is saturated with various contaminants, at which point the fluid intended to support the system becomes a major liability. Any and all of the various system-supporting and assembly-lubricating fluids will become compromised with age/time, heat, friction, metallurgy, moisture, foreign contaminants, and so on. All of the fluids have to be replaced BEFORE the end of service life, not at the first sign of trouble.

I've investigated the contents of 100,000 mile PSF and it's much worse than a 100,000-mile brake fluid. Just 100% saturated with black particles that is the inside lining of hoses and a cloudy slurry which makes up the super fine mixture of metals from the pump rotor and overall degradation of organic compounds. All of the power steering pump rotors I have seen are a metal-on-metal mechanism, such when a fluid loses its lubricating properties after a decade, irreversible damage begins to occur.

Had you flushed & replaced the PSF say 5 or 10-years ago, the PS system in question would still be running strong and far from a topic of concern.

Then you have these hydroboost systems with the GM trucks where people have problems with the brake performance & reliability either before or along with the steering. Some owners take immediate action and have the good fortune of saving everything with $20 in supplies & 2-hours simple labor while others continue to neglect an obvious need for service or repair with exponential consequence.

While you are replacing the steering gear, might I suggest draining & replacing all of the other systems. Transmission, differential, coolant, brakes, everything. It will save you money in the long run. Prevent any catastrophic failures & extend the life of original systems. these trucks will run forever on the original parts if driven conservatively and components serviced [completely] within the manufacturer's schedule of maintenance & inspection. Maybe you missed that boat but better late than never.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission