Power steering has left the building

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hydraboost is located directly behind the master cylinder where traditionally a ROUND vacuum brake booster would be. There will be a power steering line coming off the power steering pump going to the hydraboost. Thats because it uses power steering fluid under pressure to actuate and give you leverage to operate the master cylinder while braking. I have a 05 Yukon Denali and I can tell you that most likely the hydraboost is your leaker. Its very common. Look where the master cylinder bolts to the hydraboost. Is it wet on the underside of them? If yes then its because the hydraboost piston seal is leaking.

Ill let Eric walk you through it....because Eric rocks!
This right here^^!! It’s Exactly what I wanted to say but couldn’t verbalize my thought! Haha. My 2006 had the same problem. I was losing power steering fluid, and my family friend that was working on it for me at the time couldn’t tell if which it was coming from so we replaced both, to avoid having to do the other one down the line should it leak. It was a master PITA but now I don’t have any leaks up there! Lol. Check hydro boost!

watuzi

Reaction score
Can I replace my vacuum booster on my 2005 base Tahoe to a hydro-boost? Will I get better braking if I do the upgrade? This seems like a good project to do.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I seem to recall either seeing threads on here about doing that or I saw it on you tube. Did you look?