Power liftgate partially opens then closes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tarryl Madison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2007 Denali rear power liftgate partially opens with key fob, console button and handle then immediately closes. Motor appears to be working fine both opening and closing and I can't see where it may be binding up anywhere. Anyone have a clue? If I turn it off on the console, I can open it just fine, but the gate will not stay up. Could it be the shocks are worn out?

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Def sounds like the lift supports are toast.
They aide the motor to lift and keep gate up, if you can open it manually and it doesn’t stay up its safe to say its time for new ones. Dont keep using the automatic feature itll burn the motor out

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The motor is sensing what it thinks to be an obstruction, so it's reversing. Likely culprit is bad struts, so it takes more effort to open the tailgate, which the motor is misinterpreting as an obstruction.

The struts are cheap and easy to replace. They're like $10 each on Rock Auto.

mikeyss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Tahoe just did this the other day, except it was 3/4 way up and since I'm short, I was already standing under it getting my bags out of the back. I heard a noise, then the lift gate just slammed down. Hadn't I ducked so quickly, it would have landed on me! I've been afraid to use it since then.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bought a pair of off brand struts on ebay for $20 w/free shipping. Everything back to normal. Thanks again guys!
Glad you got it sorted. Keep an eye on it, new ‘off brand’ struts may not last as long as originals. Strong arm is a good company or oem.

GMCDenali12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Bought a pair of off brand struts on ebay for $20 w/free shipping. Everything back to normal. Thanks again guys!

Can you help me locate where to replace the struts? I am having the same problem with my GMC Yukon 2012. Are these the ones?
Thanks in Advance
upload_2020-10-22_20-57-52.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy