Power fold mirrors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don’t the plastic gears have a tendency to fail on these?
Yes they do. Seen it many times on the NBS trucks. The mirrors flop around with no tension at all to hold them in place. But if the OP’s mirrors will go out on command with the switch, but not in, sounds like an electrical short in the switch or the switch might be bad, not the gears being broken. If the gears were broken they wouldn’t fold either way on command from the switch.

OP
OP
malmed

malmed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My switch does not light... so maybe it is bad.... I do not hear the motor even trying to move them in, even when I help it manually... but there is no hesitation moving them back out, hit the button, they move fine...

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
My switch does not light... so maybe it is bad.... I do not hear the motor even trying to move them in, even when I help it manually... but there is no hesitation moving them back out, hit the button, they move fine...
Is it the same exact switch as in the pic? If not that may be why it's not working. It might've been swapped by a non power folding switch for some reason. Is that mirror icon in the center of it?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The light has nothing to do with the switch working, but it’s common for a switch to only work in one direction. I had one in my Silvy driver door that only would roll the passenger rear window up but not down. I replaced the switch module with aftermarket due to the price and after a month a different switch in it quit working so I ponied up for an AC Delco one. No more cheap switches for me.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
The light has nothing to do with the switch working, but it’s common for a switch to only work in one direction. I had one in my Silvy driver door that only would roll the passenger rear window up but not down. I replaced the switch module with aftermarket due to the price and after a month a different switch in it quit working so I ponied up for an AC Delco one. No more cheap switches for me.
I had a similar issue with a switch. I took it apart and there was some corrosion on the brass contact. Cleaned it up, and it still works.20180608_164003.jpg 20180608_164326.jpg

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue with a switch. I took it apart and there was some corrosion on the brass contact. Cleaned it up, and it still works.View attachment 211229 View attachment 211230
Nice. Mine wasn't corroded, on either. They would actually work if I pushed hard enough on the switch. Very obnoxious when I would hit all 4 down at the same time and one would stay up. The aftermarket one... brand new wouldn't even fit into the bezel without trimming with a razor knife. After I got it to fit, one of the switches had the same exact symptom , brand new (different switch than original) so I used a tiny piece of plastic to shim it and it worked every time. Then after a month the same symptom hit the driver side front. That's when I gave up on aftermarket. The OEM one was the driver front and was just worn out. Hopefully the new OEM keeps working, it had better for $30.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 09 Tahoe the mirrors fold in and out just fine from the door panel control button. However my later model (18) Sierra folds the power mirrors in if I use the remote key fob to lock the truck and hold the "lock" button for a few seconds. Is there something in the DIC that needs to be reset to make this work? or is this a later model feature that is not available in 2009?

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have an 09 Tahoe the mirrors fold in and out just fine from the door panel control button. However my later model (18) Sierra folds the power mirrors in if I use the remote key fob to lock the truck and hold the "lock" button for a few seconds. Is there something in the DIC that needs to be reset to make this work? or is this a later model feature that is not available in 2009?
IDK, this is the 00-06 section.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DLM_GT

Latest posts