Possibly future 2003 Tahoe owner... not sure yet

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtorres

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
173k on a 5.3L? Engine is barely broken in. Keep up with oilo changes and that engine will go 300K+ no problem. Look through receipts. I suspect the fuel pump has been replaced and the tranny likely rebuilt in the last 50k. If it has then that is a huge plus. Look for receipt on transfer case rebuild or atleast the rear case half replaced if it was needed and the anti pump rub plate installed. Also the front suspension was likely rebuilt (Tie rods, ball joints, pitman and idler arm, control arm bushings) these are all huge plusses if already done. Now the 4k is a little steep for a 20yr old tahoe BUT if certain combinations of the things ive listed have been done then 4k might not be such a bad deal. I still would work him down to 2-3k if possible.
Out here on the west coast, that rig would go all day on Craighslist for $8,500

rtorres

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello from Virginia!

Long story short, inherited my uncles 1996 Tacoma 4x4 (mint with 122K).... Its just not for me. To small, I hate how I sit in it, but the Tacoma cultists want to pay me stupid money for it so be it.

Now, my neighbor owns an '03 Tahoe, (not sure which package) 5.3, 173k. I folder full of receipts from when they bought it new. I can pick it up for $4k, then I started lurking in the forms and this Casteh 706 head issue has me concerned. Will the cast number be on the head visible with the valve cover on?

This thing is in mint condition, took very good care of it but I'm still feeling this out.

Any comments or advice will be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan
Out here on the west coast, that rig would sell all day on Craigslist for $8,500

wilcfr

Reaction score
Hello from Virginia!

Long story short, inherited my uncles 1996 Tacoma 4x4 (mint with 122K).... Its just not for me. To small, I hate how I sit in it, but the Tacoma cultists want to pay me stupid money for it so be it.

Now, my neighbor owns an '03 Tahoe, (not sure which package) 5.3, 173k. I folder full of receipts from when they bought it new. I can pick it up for $4k, then I started lurking in the forms and this Casteh 706 head issue has me concerned. Will the cast number be on the head visible with the valve cover on?

This thing is in mint condition, took very good care of it but I'm still feeling this out.

Any comments or advice will be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan
I owned a 2003. Beautiful vehicle, but was a nightmare. The main isue was the brakes. They would just go to the floor at random times and you'd have to pump fast to keep from having an accident. A lot of NHTSA complaints on the issue. Chevy refused to fix it. But they did sell me a new 2004 for dealer cost, gave me retail on the trade and switched out all my upgrades for free. In discussions with someone who knew I was told it was a master cylinder issue Chevy was aware of. After I purchased the 2004 the service manager admitted that, but said since they couldn't duplicate the problem they couldn't fix it under warranty. Also it died on me three times and had to be towed. This all happened in 18 months. Never had an issue with the 2004.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out here on the west coast, that rig would sell all day on Craigslist for $8,500
Here in the midwest a 2003 wasnt worth 8500 5yrs ago. I own not one but two 2003 tahoe LT's and there isnt any way I could get 4k out of each of them right now...but mine dont have just 175k on them either....then there is that salt thing here in the midwest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2