Possibly bad hub bearing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DougAMiller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with afpj on loading it in 2WD. At that mileage I'd be surprised if it didn't need replaced. Did both of mine with Timken at 150K.

Madmax02

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Your issue sounds exactly like my 2005 Tahoe LT 4WD. 111k miles. Here is a video of the sound from my Tahoe. Did yours sound like this at all?

OP
OP
Erickk120

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your issue sounds exactly like my 2005 Tahoe LT 4WD. 111k miles. Here is a video of the sound from my Tahoe. Did yours sound like this at all?

It never occurred to me to open the window, I would jack it up and check both sides, could be as simple as something rubbing to brake related. The way I was sure it was a hub assembly was by putting it on 4wd and stress the bearings after like 20-30mph I could definitely feel rumble and loud stress noises coming from under me, and I knew it wasn't normal because I've used my truck in 4wd when both bearings were fine. I would give it a shot and see if it changes don't go past 40 mph and I know you aren't suppose to use 4wd in pavement but it wont hurt a thing as long as you don't turn and bind things. I wont lie though yours sounds like something has a loose bolt moving around/belt related, does it only do while on the move? I would rock it up and down when its parked just to make sure. Although I wouldn't be surprised if it is indeed a hub specially if dry, Just lift it and rotate it, you will feel the roar or noise when you rotate it by hand.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Erickk120

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All of my noises are gone now, I don't hear any wind noise inside and 4wd is quiet, amazing what one bad hub bearing does, didn't have any play. There is no clicking and appears to be fine outside the truck, until i spin it fast enough and it sounds a little dry.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep