Popping noise from exhaust when 1st cranked

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MeHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone had random popping from there vehicle? I been noticing this alot more on my 2000 Tahoe Limited. I know I have high mileage. But my ls swap isn't ready yet so I need to make sure this popping noise is not major. No check lights on no leaks.... I'm leaning towards upper intake or the popits in the spider injection maybe???

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had random popping from there vehicle? I been noticing this alot more on my 2000 Tahoe Limited. I know I have high mileage. But my ls swap isn't ready yet so I need to make sure this popping noise is not major. No check lights on no leaks.... I'm leaning towards upper intake or the popits in the spider injection maybe???

Check the spark plug gap?

bsamole

Reaction score
I don't know how to check for it but I would suspect a leaking fuel injector that drops in fuel when the exhaust valve is open.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yes, both these could be suspect and the spider's are known for leaking.

Are you saying the noise happens while cranking the engine before it starts or the noise is after it starts?

OP
OP
MeHoe

MeHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I haven't changed my plugs over due. But the spider injection probably is bad too. I got 287 on the clock of my Tahoe

OP
OP
MeHoe

MeHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Really dnt want to chat it out but I dnt want to take away frommy LS swap lol

I don't know how to check for it but I would suspect a leaking fuel injector that drops in fuel when the exhaust valve is open.

OP
OP
MeHoe

MeHoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, both these could be suspect and the spider's are known for leaking.

Are you saying the noise happens while cranking the engine before it starts or the noise is after it starts?

Only when it 1st starts it does it then it goes away

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a scantool? Look at misfire counts on each cylinder. Check cap for corrosion. carbon tracks.burn thrus. If plugs bad will show on counts. If you cracked the converters, you could be hearing them rattle to the muffler.That will go away if you drive it hard.