Popping from front end? Tried everything..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex_M

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree, check motor mounts, transmission mounts, etc. I'd even check rear end stuff. Sometimes sound travels in weird ways.

nonickatall

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the US... Unless you own one on your property or have a friend with one, there are not that many wooden bridges to be found where you could just park on it, strap it down and mess with your truck for a while.

I could picture: Even if we could find a wooden bridge to strap the front end on, THAT would be the very moment someone would come along expecting to use the bridge and get all pissed off! That would be my luck, anyway.

Not laughing at you. Just the the idea of one of us trying to do this here in the US and how that might go.

Your idea is not bad at all. Maybe a trailer with tie-down anchors would be a good substitute for a wooden bridge.
Then lay a wooden beam on the floor, drive with the the front wheels on it, an tie it down.

Not problems made your country great, solution did it ..:Big Laugh:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is a TSB that has been around for along time for the crossbar under the engine area, the fix for that one is to remove the bolts and swap them around and re-torque.
could also be a body mount
the snap/pop thing is just problematic for the gmt800's & gmt900's
sometimes the only fix is to lube the crap out of the sway bar bushings a couple times a year as that is the primary cause, that and a change in weather.

houstontaylor

Reaction score
I got a set of Chassis Ears for my popping sounds. The signal on the rear upper shock bolts coincided with the sounds. Replaced the bolts in case they were worn but no change. Maybe the holes for them are enlarged.? Solution in progress.

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
My Tahoe makes somewhat of a similar sound I’ve narrowed mine down between the front differential mounts and or a passenger side Motor mount same deal everything up front is new but still does it from time to time

Joeltz

Reaction score
There is a service bulletin referring to re torquing a arms ( you have Done , and I think the Crossmember bolts get retirqued also

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If it's 4wd, check the front differential mounts. The bushings by now are probably worn.

Reaction score
If I floor my Tahoe from a stop the front end lift and pops. Then if I slam on my brakes hard enough it will pop again. What’s weirder about it is if I floor it and it pops, I can slow down normally with no pop, and floor it again and it won’t pop. I have to hit the brakes hard for it to pop. It has to pop up then it has to pop down. It won’t continue to pop when I floor it unless it pops when brakes. Sounds like it’s coming from the front passenger side. It did it with all the original front end parts, it was loose and I figure it was from that. I’ve since then rebuild the entire front end suspension/steering minus the steering box. It still pops like it has before I rebuilt the front end. I’ve loosened everything more then it should be, tightened everything more then it should be, and torqued it all to factory spec trying to find the smoking gun with no luck. I’ve lubed everything on the front end again with no luck. Suggestions? Something cracked? Body bushing? No clue. No rust on this thing.
Here's another idea. If you have changed the CV's or knuckles and you reinstalled them, maybe you didn't torque the CV's properly?? If you torque the CV axles to knuckle while tires are off and truck is in the air then the CV is not compressed to it's proper length. The truck must be on the ground with full weight on front tires THEN you torque down the CV.

If it wasn't torqued properly then any time the front end goes up or down, the CV can slide laterally in the knuckle stopping when CV nut impacts knuckle...probably millimeters.

Reaction score
last thing...since you've checked everything else check the front wheel bearings. I know failure modes for wheel bearings are noises and vibrations but just check...you've checked everything else

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972