Poor Backup Camera

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve been driving a 2021 Yukon XL SLT for weeks and I think the rear view camera resolution is an upgrade from what was in my ‘15 Yukon XL Denali. Not sure how much of that is because of the infotainment screen or the camera quality? Either way it’s an improvement over the previous generation.

OP
OP
Danimalx87

Danimalx87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will have to pay more attention I suppose...I find mine to be crystal clear, and sharp as can be, and smooth...but one thing...I hardly ever run the rear camera mirror...perhaps when that is enabled, the frame rate of the backup cam is reduced?
How do you see anything? lol Looking out the back window through an XL is like using the peep hole in a hotel door.

That, and the aerodynamics of the truck are terrible, creating a draft on the back so it's always dirty and hard to see through the window.. lol

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, I think the problem is the low refresh rate on the infotainment screen. I don't know why in a 6 figure truck they couldn't put a little nicer screen in... I have 2 in the middle row that are useless for us, would have happily removed them to get a nicer head unit instead.
So, this morning I intentioally looked at this, it was cool enough the steam from the exhaust was visible; so I put it in park, hit the camera button, adjusted the view to the rear camera, and watched my exhaust...it was smooth as butter, reminded me of watching it on an HD TV set...really, no issues whatsoever w/ judder, jerkiness, artifacts, etc...
Perhaps you have an issue w/ your camera.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you see anything? lol Looking out the back window through an XL is like using the peep hole in a hotel door.

That, and the aerodynamics of the truck are terrible, creating a draft on the back so it's always dirty and hard to see through the window.. lol
Actually, I find the rear view to be pretty good using the standard mirror, unless of course there are people in the 3rd row, which is very seldom for me...and as for not seeing through the window...there is a wiper and washer!
Maybe I am just used to it since I have done it so long...but the view out the back is way better than my 1999 Suburban w/ the Barn Doors

K5-Z71

Reaction score
I can relate to OP, there have been instances in my three months ownership where I've noticed the backup camera being at 10fps. It is disorientating to use like that.

I haven't noted any commonalities between the instances but I believe it's isolated to the camera system itself as I've never seen the screen drop below 60fps while watching movies.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI. This Morning I Flipped on the Camera Mirror and activated the backup camera as well; and really couldn't notice a difference in the two from a quality perspective.
I do think the resolution/pixel size on the infotainment unit is higher than the screen in the camera; and this may attribute to the visual differeences.

But, I stand by mine being smooth, lack of judder, crystal clear, and good color. I find the camera mirror a bit bleached out, but generally would call both high quality.

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe we are officially at the point with our vehicles where the first course of action is REBOOT (10mm to the negative terminal). If that doesn't solve the issue, then standard troubleshooting tree applies.

DmaxDenaliXL

Reaction score
I’ve found the quality and resolution to be fine. Couple days ago I was on some twisty single lane state park roads and turned the front camera on while driving to help navigate when cresting over blind hill/corner combos. When driving at 18-20mph I did notice a decent lag between reality and display. I would guess it is almost a second of lag. Other than that, I’ve not noticed any quality issues whatsoever. Besides RSE being worthless and using Android for the infotainment, my biggest beef with my Denali is that the headlights don’t help at all on dark twisty mountain roads. Corners are dark and blind. I wish the headlight would track with steering wheel input, or at minimum turn on some ditch lighting like some Lincoln vehicles I’ve driven.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there is a federal law (i swear i read an article about this some years back, but could be wrong) against headlights swiveling when you turn your steering wheel, as no vehicle in the us has this function (which i feel would make it safer and easier to see when going around corners). I want to say other countries have this ability allowed in vehicles.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there is a federal law (i swear i read an article about this some years back, but could be wrong) against headlights swiveling when you turn your steering wheel, as no vehicle in the us has this function (which i feel would make it safer and easier to see when going around corners). I want to say other countries have this ability allowed in vehicles.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/press-releases/nhtsa-allow-adaptive-driving-beam-headlights-new-vehicles-improving-safety-drivers#:~:text=The%20U.S.%20Department%20of%20Transportation's,a%20half%20ahead%20of%20schedule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep