Police vs Civilian front brakes (again, sorry)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

me88

Reaction score
So I did some searching here and found some old threads, but couldn't find a conclusive answer:

Is it possible to put ACDelco Police rotors & pads on a civilian '09 LTZ?
Rotors: ACDelco 18A1705PV
Pads & Hardware: ACDelco 17D1367SDH

If I can get a slight performance upgrade using these parts, that would be nice. I don't want to swap calipers or knuckles. The ACDelco catalog says they're compatible, but they list a ton of different rotors and pads for the same vehicle which makes me a little suspicious.

I've read about the PowerStop Z36 Kit, but where I live it's much easier to stay with OE components.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I did some searching here and found some old threads, but couldn't find a conclusive answer:

If I can get a slight performance upgrade using these parts, that would be nice. I don't want to swap calipers or knuckles. The ACDelco catalog says they're compatible, but they list a ton of different rotors and pads for the same vehicle which makes me a little suspicious.

I've read about the PowerStop Z36 Kit, but where I live it's much easier to stay with OE components.
They'll fit without a problem. You running the Bundesautobahn at high speed often?

OP
OP
M

me88

Reaction score
I don't run it at high speeds often since the transmission temp goes up quite quickly at ~90+ mph, and the gas mileage at those speeds is quite bad. 60-80 mph is where it likes to cruise at. A little more stopping power can never hurt, the stock brakes are okay albeit close to being worn by now.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
police pads are just semi metallic pads, nothing special involved
brake pads are broken down into basically 3 types
organic
semi-metallic
ceramic
organic are cheap, likely will make noise, make dust, wear our fast, they will stop you
semi metallic are priced a little more, may make some light noise, make some dust, last a little longer-stop very well
ceramic are priced even higher, very quiet, make very little to no dust, last the longest, stop well

so as you can see there is some trade off
there are also now carbon fiber pads and copper free pads
carbon fiber are very noisy, make lots of dust, stop very well and have virtually no brake fade.
copper free are pretty much ceramic pads without any copper due to west coast epa agreements on copper getting in the water source. these are a new formulation.

gpracer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the calipers is where its at.....they use high temp silicone and phenolic pistons.

I did the police calipers, Hawk pads and R1 carbon Geomet slotted rotors that I had Cryo treated. Drive it like my Vette and 4 years later no warp.

isp5190

Reaction score

The Police rotors will work. I put the Police rotors (front and rear) on our 2009 Tahoe LTX. I had replaced our rotors twice with StopTech Cyro rotors and had warped rotors both times. Going to the Police rotors with over 5000 miles on them now no rotor run out yet. I went with the Advanced Autos premium brand rotors and pads (OEM listed) and am happy.

OP
OP
M

me88

Reaction score
So I put on the Police rotors & pads this afternoon (ACDelco 17D1367MHPVF1 and 18A1705PV). Was pretty straight forward with the Chevrolet instructions, except that the upper caliper bracket bolts on both sides were noticeably tighter than the lower ones. I used the silicone-based grease that came with the pads for the sliding pins and ATE Plastilube for the ears on the pads. Have barely driven them yet but they already have a much stronger bite compared to the stock stuff and absolutely no noise or vibrations, I'm very satisfied so far.

OP
OP
M

me88

Reaction score
So by now they are bedded in and work well, I only noticed one tiny little thing: when listening very closely, you can hear a "bonk" sound just before complete standstill. Makes no difference if the brakes are cold or warm, always does it. Once you have the AC on and/or music playing at any volume you can't hear it anymore so that's 100% ok with me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

me88

Reaction score
About a year later I have to say I wouldn't buy those pads again. They are annoyingly loud now, at almost every stop they squeak a bit just before standstill. Pad material is still plenty and the brake lube is still where it should be.