OR VietVet Is Still Throwing $$$ at 2005 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Goat

Reaction score
Just got the order # and the USPS tracking number for the new cluster. That was quick to say the least. The warranty is 1 year but if I return my old cluster to him, free shipping that he sent a return for, I get a lifetime warranty on the cluster. Like he says on his website, "All others can kiss his ass!"

Ha Ha, Just gotta love a man that speaks his mind!

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hell, I am 68, I got years and years of practice lookin' like I am not lookin'.
I’m following your build closely as I have a stock 2005 Z-71 with 175k miles that I bought new. I would love to do some of the things you’ve done/are doing to yours. It has been a great vehicle with very few repairs needed and no major ones (blend door, vapor canister & solenoids, blower motor resistor, 4WD encoder ring, a/c compressor, shocks). It still has the original front brake pads. Time to get the cluster repaired/replaced. The map CD has been stuck in the DVD player for years but the NAV system never was as good as my cheap Garmin. Driver’s leather seat cover needs replacing along with the foam cushioning. I still prefer driving it over my 2019 Z71 Tahoe except on longer road trips.

2591tdj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, mine's a 2005 Z71 2WD package. Only year they made those. 200,000 miles and still going strong. Preventive maintenance is the key.

Roof rack lights were a mod I did using halogen lights I got off Ebay. Hooked them up to the trailer hitch wiring harness with a switch under dash also for lighting things up really good at night. Really good for putting the trailer ball directly under the hitch at night. With backup camera of course.

View attachment 267200

Swapping the cluster for the tranny gauge is an option, but more expensive and you will still have to have it reprogrammed for correct odometer reading. I put in blue LED's in mine at the same time.

Wheels are 2007 Yukon.

View attachment 267202
I like your roof rack lights. Thanks for posting as now I see how easy it should be to add them. I added LED bars under the bumper for additional back-up lighting. They are super bright.

Your border collie looks a lot like our Madison who lived with us for 16 years. Everyone who ever been around her remarked that she was the smartest dog they had ever seen. She was amazingly intelligent. Several friends and family members got border collies because of her but none of them came close to her in intelligence. She responded to conversations and did not have to be given commands.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, more to come but it is a waiting game now. Wait for the Hellwig sway bar kits, wait for the new cluster and then after that it will go back for the wheels to be done in black and decided to paint the rear bumper.

Luckily my interior is in tip top shape. The only thing that I have done is the passenger front seat side panel cover, where the switches mount at, that was cracked when I got it and I got a panel in great shape from a member here. Sorry, I forget his name.

The seats are immaculate and no dash problems. The only thing is the aftermarket radio in it that I hate and I already got the OE replacement that is unlocked and dialed in to my VIN and will install when the dash cluster comes in. The other thing is the fan speed buttons on the dash heat/a/c control are rubbed off but I can live with that for now but I will replace the unit a little later.

Dantheman1540

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, more to come but it is a waiting game now. Wait for the Hellwig sway bar kits, wait for the new cluster and then after that it will go back for the wheels to be done in black and decided to paint the rear bumper.

Luckily my interior is in tip top shape. The only thing that I have done is the passenger front seat side panel cover, where the switches mount at, that was cracked when I got it and I got a panel in great shape from a member here. Sorry, I forget his name.

The seats are immaculate and no dash problems. The only thing is the aftermarket radio in it that I hate and I already got the OE replacement that is unlocked and dialed in to my VIN and will install when the dash cluster comes in. The other thing is the fan speed buttons on the dash heat/a/c control are rubbed off but I can live with that for now but I will replace the unit a little later.

Where did you order the Hellwig bars from? I still need a front to match my rear, always looking for a better price if that's even possible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe

Latest posts