OR VietVet Is Still Throwing $$$ at 2005 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like a kid a Christmas. Pics please and comment after first road test.

Absolutely will do.

And, thanks again for you being the test balloon for these sway bars, and your excellent reporting on the project and its results. I will be absolutely thrilled if I achieve even half of the change that you experienced, after installation.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Trust me. You will feel and love the difference in the handling feel after the install. Besides the paint work I have done on my rig, this Hellwig bars kits install has been the biggest PLUS that I have done to my rig. Do the mid range adjustment on the rear bar to begin with. You can go up or down from there. Good luck and again, post your pics as you go.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, so I did buy some new wheels and tires from the owner here that were take offs from his 2018 GMC truck. Same tire size as my Z71-265/70R17. The tires are newer than 2018 because he did not like factory tires and bought new. These tires have 4k miles on them. I swapped them over this morning and road tested. The handling improved just a little because the new tires are all season Nokian directional tires instead of the all terrain tires that were on the rig.

The center caps did not swap from my Z71 wheels to the new wheels so I had to order bow tie center caps. The bow tie will be blacked out on the caps.

I also have to say that I like the look of the new wheels instead of the Z71 wheels. Not sure which way I will go from here.

20210401_153658.jpg

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Absolutely will do.

And, thanks again for you being the test balloon for these sway bars, and your excellent reporting on the project and its results. I will be absolutely thrilled if I achieve even half of the change that you experienced, after installation.
X2! Your review prompted me to buy my set..! I just got box #2 delivered this evening. Next Thursday, they go to work!

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, got the "Black Bowtie" center caps. Installed them and stood back. I like the look. I am not gonna paint the wheels black and after I decided I also put the other wheels and tires up for sale at CL. I had them all listed for $1000 and sold them for $800. A guy with a pewter 2002 Z71 with rear barn doors called me and wanted the wheels. He had some ugly knock off wheels on his rig, with missing center caps, and is ecstatic to get these wheels and tires. I really played up the part about how hard it is to find the Z71 factory wheels. Anyway, here is a pic of the new look.

20210406_112532.jpg

Last edited:

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, got the "Black Bowtie" center caps. Installed them and stood back. I like the look. I am not gonna paint the wheels black and after I decided I also put the other wheels and tires up for sale at CL. I had them all listed for $1000 and sold them for $800. A guy with a pewter 2002 Z71 with rear barn doors called me and wanted the wheels. He had some ugly knock off wheels on his rig, with missing center caps, and is ecstatic to get these wheels and tires. I really played up the part about how hard it is to find the Z71 factory wheels. Anyway, here is a pic of the new look.

View attachment 275561
Nice work ! [emoji482]

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Am in the process of ordering in all new GM parts for the complete front end rebuild. It will be the center link, inner and outer tie rods, idler arm, pitman arm, left and right upper and lower control arms, Timken wheel hubs and rear track bar plus alignment. The parts at RA total with the 5% discount at $76.86 and the shipping at $80.96 figured in is $1541.26. I punched all numbers in at Amazon and with no shipping charges the total is $1771.40. A $230 difference. I could have lived with a $100 difference and ordered it all from Amazon but a $230 difference is too much. Amazon was in the running because of some reward dollars that I could have used for about $23 and charging it on the Amazon c/c.

I just also received a text that my newly painted smooth rear upper corner louvers are painted and sealed and he will install them on Sunday.

Except for the steering wheel position sensor and the knock sensors that will be done soon, I am running out of things to do on this rig.

I have really put the new tires and wheels thru the paces with the new sway bar kits and am very satisfied so far.

At end of summer, I believe I will be doing the exhaust.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14