OR VietVet Is Still Throwing $$$ at 2005 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Right after I bought this rig, July 2020, I replaced the P/S seat bezel with one I got from a member here. It was then that I noticed one of the 5 bezel screws was missing. I let it go till about 2 weeks ago and I looked for them and found 3-4 people selling a pair of them for $7.50 at ebay. I refused to pay that much, even with free shipping. No longer available thru GM. I tried hardware stores but it is a very specific screw. My friend went to the salvage yard the other day and took all 5 from a rig there and brought to me. I was set now. I tried to just install the new screw and would not thread in and felt like was blocked. I removed the bezel and pulled the material back and there it was, the missing screw was not missing but was threaded in the hole with the material pulled away from it where you could not see it. The damn screw was there all this time. I now have 5 of these suckers if anyone needs them and will send to whoever pays the shipping and $1.00 for each one. They are 1 3/4" long from bottom of head to the tip.

20210828_094722.jpg

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Hopefully someone knows the steps. I am going to remove my rack on top. Is there a kit for sealing the mounting holes or is it just remove, prep, and get in there and seal the holes? Stock height after removal? Thanks in advance.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hopefully someone knows the steps. I am going to remove my rack on top. Is there a kit for sealing the mounting holes or is it just remove, prep, and get in there and seal the holes? Stock height after removal? Thanks in advance.

If the GMT800 is like my '900, there are nutserts/rivnuts in the roof. The quick and easy way to seal is to smear thread sealant under the head of the screws and reinstall them. Some use socket head set screws with thread sealer then cover those with a sealant to have it as flush as possible. The flange of the nutsert is a little less than the thickness of a dime.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
So, if I understand correctly, I just use the sealer and the same attaching bolts that are already there? Great, if that is the case.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, I understand now. The nutserts are already sealed in the roof and theoretically I could not put anything in there but would get full of water and debris. Reinstall the bolts and seal to keep that hole from filling back up with the crap. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I am wanting to smooth out the appearance more and the roof rack coming off does that and serves another purpose. When I move to Mo., I am wanting to be sure the rig fits in the garage door opening and I don't know what that height will be yet but as I look at the roof rack it looks like I just take the attaching points covers off and then remove the hold down bolts and it is all exposed. Sounds like a 1-2 hour job depending on how good I can bend my hands and arms and fingers.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, if I understand correctly, I just use the sealer and the same attaching bolts that are already there? Great, if that is the case.

Ok, I understand now. The nutserts are already sealed in the roof and theoretically I could not put anything in there but would get full of water and debris. Reinstall the bolts and seal to keep that hole from filling back up with the crap. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. I am wanting to smooth out the appearance more and the roof rack coming off does that and serves another purpose. When I move to Mo., I am wanting to be sure the rig fits in the garage door opening and I don't know what that height will be yet but as I look at the roof rack it looks like I just take the attaching points covers off and then remove the hold down bolts and it is all exposed. Sounds like a 1-2 hour job depending on how good I can bend my hands and arms and fingers.

This is what I did. Just removed the screws, removed the rack, added sealant to the underside of the screw head and ran 'em back in. Wiped the excess sealant so it was a sharp and clean seam completely around and under the head and let it dry. Been fine for a couple years so far.

People said the nutserts were a blind hole. Not in mine. I stuck a wire in there and went until I hit the top of the headliner.

Also, the nutserts have been known to leak under the flange. You'll know if this has been happening when you remove the rack and see corrosion or rust around the nutsert.

I think you already know this, but don't use silicone to seal the screws. As it cures, it releases gases that are corrosive to metals. My ultimate goal is to remove the nutserts, weld up the holes and repaint the roof. Until then, I have some plastic barbed push pins to fill the holes. I painted them body color and bought butyl windshield adhesive to smear under the heads. I wanna buff the paint around the nutserts to reduce or remove the ghosting left from the rack mounts, first.

These, but I sanded, primed and painted them:

51bX3yJfETL._AC_SL1024_.jpg

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Right after I bought this rig, July 2020, I replaced the P/S seat bezel with one I got from a member here. It was then that I noticed one of the 5 bezel screws was missing. I let it go till about 2 weeks ago and I looked for them and found 3-4 people selling a pair of them for $7.50 at ebay. I refused to pay that much, even with free shipping. No longer available thru GM. I tried hardware stores but it is a very specific screw. My friend went to the salvage yard the other day and took all 5 from a rig there and brought to me. I was set now. I tried to just install the new screw and would not thread in and felt like was blocked. I removed the bezel and pulled the material back and there it was, the missing screw was not missing but was threaded in the hole with the material pulled away from it where you could not see it. The damn screw was there all this time. I now have 5 of these suckers if anyone needs them and will send to whoever pays the shipping and $1.00 for each one. They are 1 3/4" long from bottom of head to the tip.

View attachment 348824
I sold all these locally. If you snooze, or just don't need them, you lose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Austinsham