OR VietVet Is Still Throwing $$$ at 2005 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everything was going smoothly till motor mounts install last night. P/S exh manifold has to come off and bolts broke at both ends. 2 of them. But straight shot to drill out and tap. Then we saw that according to All Data just have to drop driveshaft to get to the D/S mount. While getting in there I see a broken front bolt on the D/S. If can do mount thru the driveshaft space, that is what I am going to do. I have never heard any exhaust leaks on the rig, cold start all the way to full heated. Never heard driving or with hood up and standing next to it. If we got to pull one head, both will be pulled. Then I will do a cam, lifters, push rods, rockers and if do that, the pan has to come off and then I will do an oil pump and timing components. Party On Garth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looking forward to it!!

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, after discussions with my friend, I ordered the Dorman clamps for the front and rear of P/S and front of D/S. I will be finishing up the rest of the work I had planned and when that is all done, within the next 2 months, I will get with him and we will discuss head work and all the other things that go along with that.

He was a little slow today at the shop so he tackled the motor mounts. Driveshaft drop was ok for mount room on D/S and P/S was easy after the manifold removal.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Everything was going smoothly till motor mounts install last night. P/S exh manifold has to come off and bolts broke at both ends. 2 of them. But straight shot to drill out and tap. Then we saw that according to All Data just have to drop driveshaft to get to the D/S mount. While getting in there I see a broken front bolt on the D/S. If can do mount thru the driveshaft space, that is what I am going to do. I have never heard any exhaust leaks on the rig, cold start all the way to full heated. Never heard driving or with hood up and standing next to it. If we got to pull one head, both will be pulled. Then I will do a cam, lifters, push rods, rockers and if do that, the pan has to come off and then I will do an oil pump and timing components. Party On Garth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And......So it begins......

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I have always said during this work that if I get deep enough, I am not afraid to do more now than what I planned. I have to take advantage of my friendship with a Master Tech that worked for me and his desire to go Whole Hog if need be. I just can't physically do some of what I used to do. Before now, all this work has went according to plan but there was never any thought that it would stay that way. In for a penny, in for a pound.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ok, we are moving along and had a couple of the 3 needed Dorman brackets come in so we decided to continue with what we could do till we get that bracket and finish with the manifolds. Did the new battery cables as well.

imagejpeg_0(62) (1).jpgimagejpeg_0(63) (1).jpgimagejpeg_0(64).jpgimagejpeg_0(66).jpgimagejpeg_0(67).jpg

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Had the heat shield there already. We did find out also that if just one guy had to do the routing of the cables, it would be a PITA. Way quicker with two people. So many things that catch the cables while trying to push and shove. My new coils and master cylinder are supposed to be here by tomorrow or Wednesday. It all kind of depends on when my friend may need the loaner car back.

When the bolts broke off for the exhaust manifolds he was really pushing to call a friend of his at Texas Speed for heads and headers and cam. He really likes to spend my money. Hell I would too.