Please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brady1287

Reaction score
Today my wife was driving the 09 Tahoe, roughly 174xxx miles, and the power steering went out and it started "chugging and hesitating" also said service power steering and service hybrid system. She also said there was a weird noise under it and I've heard that can be the auxiliary trans pump. I only see threads that end without a solution. The onboard says it's at 15 volts running and 12 with the key to just on. When I get home I can probe the battery to see what the multimeter says. Any advice or personal experience is greatly appreciated. This is a car we would be willing to put new batteries in.

OP
OP
B

Brady1287

Reaction score
Here are the codes

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220119-152943.png
    Screenshot_20220119-152943.png
    193.3 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20220119-152934.png
    Screenshot_20220119-152934.png
    169.3 KB · Views: 7
OP
OP
B

Brady1287

Reaction score
Not a coincidence if I had to bet. My wife had jump started a car, went to the store, and this started right after she left. The store is very close by. I don't know enough about these systems but could the jump start have strained the little 12v, it didn't recharge long enough, so the next start up would be underpowered. I've seen a lot of people say a bad 12v can do all kinds of wonky things or am I grasping at desperation straws here

OP
OP
B

Brady1287

Reaction score
Okay so I need to clarify a little because maybe I was so startled and was more focused on the dreadful. When this happened, after the jump start, it did have a ACTIVE check engine light. The screen shots are "soft codes" so no check engine light but codes were registered. I cleared them out, drove it around not very far because I was scared of it happening again and be 20 miles away from home. The on board consistently was 14/15 volts, the stereo screen on the hybrid option kept consistently switching around on what the system was actively doing. Ran the codes several times driving, turned it off and on, and nothing alarming. I still think I need to update the wiring and auxiliary trans pump because the bump jerk problem, but as far as the initial problem went I think it is to much of a coincidence that the Tahoe jump started a car and then started doing this very shortly after. I am going to keep checking for codes but we don't do much driving since we are very close to every where we need to possibly go. Thank you so much, I will update if anything happens. Hope someone can learn from this somehow.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the codes
P1A1F= Voltage too low 168v

could be an issue with the charging system

if the charging voltage stays 14.7 it means the 12volt battery failed I would get it load tested... it should drop to 13.5-13.7v float when it's fully charged

make sure it's sitting FULLY seated to the post and clean clean it good with the battery cleaner tools...

on the bump jerk just plug that wire in and out tell it stops doing that or you can get one of these
3Pcs Car Terminal Cleaner Tool Kit Fit For Spade Pin Electric

Terminal clean tool

Just be gentle with it NO TWIST :rofl: only in and out motions :manos:
look for the yellow purple,blue and red

MAKE SURE TO DISCONNECT the 12V+ battery before cleaning to avoid shorting anything out

ALSO clean the connector on the 3 phase AC /DC converter input side as well (assuming you get the terminal cleaning tool)

follow the cords to find it it's buried :)

20210806_184023.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpg

Attachments

• 20211224_115621.jpg
    20211224_115621.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brady1287

Reaction score
P1A1F= Voltage too low 168v

could be an issue with the charging system

if the charging voltage stays 14.7 it means the 12volt battery failed I would get it load tested... it should drop to 13.5-13.7v float when it's fully charged

make sure it's sitting FULLY seated to the post and clean clean it good with the battery cleaner tools...

on the bump jerk just plug that wire in and out tell it stops doing that or you can get one of these
3Pcs Car Terminal Cleaner Tool Kit Fit For Spade Pin Electric

Terminal clean tool

Just be gentle with it NO TWIST :rofl: only in and out motions :manos:
look for the yellow purple,blue and red

MAKE SURE TO DISCONNECT the 12V+ battery before cleaning to avoid shorting anything out

ALSO clean the connector on the 3 phase AC /DC converter input side as well (assuming you get the terminal cleaning tool)

follow the cords to find it it's buried :)

View attachment 361304View attachment 361317
You seem to be a treasure trove of knowledge on these vehicles. I will most definitely be doing all listed above. My wife and I are pretty certain we are replacing the hybrid battery soon after all this, fixing the bump jerk, and a oil leak I believe to be coming from the vlom so also replacing just about everything up top. Words can't express the appreciation I have for the tips for the current and future problems

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
also since your engine is high mileage i would swap out the baro sensor apparently they installed defective sensors on them which would cause a stall out, transmission slip or engine run away condition.... it' a DIY just be careful with the clip on the throttle body.... it's super easy to swap
i know of two other cases with the issue....

the Baro sensor is right under the throttle body :)

if you need a battery i know where you can get one for $5,044 NO sales tax that includes the 1,000$ core charge for it..

the issue is you will have to return the core to get the 1,000 back it's in northeast Texas...

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Brady1287

Reaction score
Baro sensor like the MAP? I've replaced the throttle body and haven't seen any sensors or connections on it besides for the throttle body connection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17