Pinging at launch [emoji848]

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by Woodblocker55, Oct 12, 2019 at 1:47 AM.

1. Woodblocker55

Woodblocker55 Full Access Member

Name:
    Joe Yukon
    Does it need a tank of premium higher octane ethanol gas. Or premium without ethanol ? Any pointers ? It really hits the RPMs hard at launch with 4:10s. Made some 2019 navigators get depressed at the stop lights one Volvo guy look at me like what hells going on. Just burned guy at the lights ..but the 235 85 16s do brake loose pretty easy need to be careful ..might have to shut down the stable track next time . Could the stable track cause issues at launch ?

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

2. R3cord303

R3cord303 Posse In Effect

Name:
    Allen
    Are you tuned? Need more information. Perhaps data logs?

3. BG1988

BG1988 Full Access Member

Name:
    Brent
    if it has flex fuel then it will have the table for 93 octane

GM recommends premium fuel on all the v8 engines anyways..

just don't go to any gas station.. Mobil/Exxon or Chevron/Texco seem to have good quality control on which octanes go into which tanks.. I have gotten 87 octane from the high octane pumps before at 3 Shell stations (different stations),Arco/BP 4 different stations
    they pumped 87 on the 91 selection/price

it happens a lot aka FUEL Octane FRAUD :whymewhyme:

i think chevron and Mobil have Quality control and spies on the franchise locations...

never had any issues I feel i get what i pay for at the pump..

As seen with my pretty HIGH MPG numbers.. snatched 26.7MPG Highway and 31MPG city last week ( 28.85mpg combined over 200 miles...)

this week it's going to be quite a bit less due to santa ana wind events i think it's going to be about 20-22 avg

with 87octane you only get 18mpg

I can sit in V4 mode almost forever with 91 octane. I think it would do even better with 93 octane as it could pull a (higher) tighter timing in AFM.

in V8 mode it can pull upto +42 degrees timing which is the max ?

4. PNW VietVet

PNW VietVet Full Access Member

Name:
    Ron
    I run the mid grade all the time and have no problems with mileage or pinging. I did with the low octane regular. I stick with Chevron for the same reasons mentioned here. More info/details needed on what you have. Flex fuel? Can you find fuel that does not have a mix of ethanol? Not in my area but my Chevron is half a block away. It is more $ but worth it to me for convenience.

How fresh are your tune/ignition related components? Good clean fuel filter? No check engine lights?

That taller tire should also help compensate for the 4:10s a bit. Have you tried premium yet and if so did the ping go away. Try the mid grade and see what happens.

Woodblocker55 and swathdiver like this.
  5. Woodblocker55

Name:
    Joe Yukon
    I will try mid grade fuel see what happens ..I will get set up for logging also . I bought cellphone just for logging off the obd-link plus . Thanks for the input will get back to ya .

6. Woodblocker55

Name:
    Joe Yukon
    Looked only 91 octane in our area need to shop lol. What about a can of octane boost ? The old 69 Camaro lived on octane boost .. it's 10 1/4 : 1 was a hybrid. Yukon XL might like it also . You can get it by case you know ... lol

7. jeffbco

jeffbco Full Access Member

Name:
    Jeff
    How did you determine the wrong octane was being
    pumped...or is this just your best guess?

HiHoeSilver likes this.