Pilot's '02 4x4 Tahoe build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So stoked to finally get all this stuff installed! Nav head unit, all new 14AWG speaker wire, all new speakers, amp and sub, multiview rear cam, dash cam, Viper alarm & remote start with SmartStart, glass and tilt sensors, and FIIIIINALY got my front bumper and seat covers installed!! (still waiting for the rear bumper :confused:)

Audio gear waiting to be installed
IMG_3384.JPG

IMG_3386.JPG

New nav headunit installed
IMG_2850-3.jpg

Iron Cross front bumper installed
IMG_4831.jpg

New OEM leather seat covers installed up front
IMG_8986.jpg

I'll try to do more indepth writeups when I have time. And maybe even an update video.

In the meantime, I've ordered a ram air+cowl hood, AMP PowerSteps and a better grill from Royalty Core. And starting to talk to the shop about paint vs wrap.

Much excite!

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the truck in the shop after the bumper went on. Notice the Rigid Radience cubes with green accent light. The bumper has holes for a winch but nothing that fits a license plate. In this pic it's just ziptied on.

Front-in-the-shop.jpg

Bought a license plate mounting frame from Amazon that I could bolt to the winch mounting holes.
plate-frame.jpg

Bought some security screws with black caps from Amazon.
security-screws.jpg

security-screws-with-caps.jpg

Radiance fog lights on.
front2.jpg

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The head unit has two USB inputs for CarPlay and Android Auto. I ran those to two USB ports that I used to replace two of the cigarette lighters. For now I'm storying a longer lightning cable in the ash tray. I actually want to replace the ash tray with some kind of compartment. Looking for suggestions!
dash-usb.jpg

dash-usb-plugged.jpg

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Installed the amp on a board which is velcroed to the carpet. It's in the middle for now, though I may eventually decide to switch the 2nd row to captains chairs. I'm not sure yet. If I do, amp will move to passenger side.

It works for now but I'm pretty unhappy with the cables going everywhere. I'd much rather hide them under the carpet. I may actually replace all the carpet at some point so maybe I'll wait until then to hide the cables. At least for now, when the seats are down, you can't see any of it or even tell that there's an amp there.

amp1.jpg

I've got a distribution block and extra power and ground cables so that I can hook up my 2000w inverter under the seat as well.

amp-and-converter.jpg

amp-and-converter2.jpg

Inverter with the seat down.

outlets.jpg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Installed the amp on a board which is velcroed to the carpet. It's in the middle for now, though I may eventually decide to switch the 2nd row to captains chairs. I'm not sure yet. If I do, amp will move to passenger side.

It works for now but I'm pretty unhappy with the cables going everywhere. I'd much rather hide them under the carpet. I may actually replace all the carpet at some point so maybe I'll wait until then to hide the cables. At least for now, when the seats are down, you can't see any of it or even tell that there's an amp there.

View attachment 194444

I've got a distribution block and extra power and ground cables so that I can hook up my 2000w inverter under the seat as well.

View attachment 194442

View attachment 194443

Inverter with the seat down.

View attachment 194445
What can you run with your inverter? I'd like to get one for my work van. What's the optimal way to hook one up?

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quick video showing the Rockford Fosgate T1650-S component crossover and speaker installed in the front doors.

OP
OP
Pilot

Pilot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What can you run with your inverter? I'd like to get one for my work van. What's the optimal way to hook one up?

I should be able to run just about anything with that inverter. It's a "modified sine wave" inverter, i.e. the cheaper kind, and they say you should not use that kind of inverter to power things with electric motors, but in practice I've read that they work just fine, especially with an inverter this powerful. The other more expensive kind is called a "pure sine wave" inverter. They're much more expensive.

I went with the 2000 watt version because I'm hoping to be able to run a heat gun from the inverter. I have a 1500w heat gun so we'll see if it works.

Best way to install them is just like an amplifier. Heavy gauge cable from the battery straight to the inverter with a fuse in between (close to the battery). Shortest ground possible. That’s why I just hooked it up with the amp–a distribution block splits the power we ran for the amp and also powers the inverter (though I have not connected the cables yet). I just wouldn't recommend trying to use the inverter and the car stereo at the same time.

distro-block.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davonlwilliams33