Pics of your dual exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lsnoob13

Reaction score
mine isn't overly loud, I can hear it when accelerating but it smooths out pretty quiet when just cruising, I really couldn't comment on changing the pipe size I only added the Borla and took off the rear resonator, my 03 5.3 silverado has 3" pipe catback no resonators and it is noticeably louder than my Denali
Ah ok, what muffler is that? I'll give it a try. As for the pipe size, it has 3 1/2 inch exhaust stock and I'm adding the longtubes, I also have a bigger cam, and may add a cold air intake so I'd want to get setting that flows good and is somewhat noticeable but not to obnoxious since it is my "Dad mobile" lol I plan on addi g a electric cutout somewhere in the exhaust for when I want to show off lol. I just didn't know if 4 inches would be overkill, some say that going too big affects back pressure but idk in new to these LS engines.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah ok, what muffler is that? I'll give it a try. As for the pipe size, it has 3 1/2 inch exhaust stock and I'm adding the longtubes, I also have a bigger cam, and may add a cold air intake so I'd want to get setting that flows good and is somewhat noticeable but not to obnoxious since it is my "Dad mobile" lol I plan on addi g a electric cutout somewhere in the exhaust for when I want to show off lol. I just didn't know if 4 inches would be overkill, some say that going too big affects back pressure but idk in new to these LS engines.
borla 40946, 3.5 in & out straight-thru, the muffler shop just made me a y pipe for the dual exhaust
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Borla-XR-1...=18367144800501b9fda7038d459cade012d7b01ba0c0

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
This was precisely my worry! Maybe you have better knowledge on my earlier question? I asked @Doubeleive.

Bigger is not always better... you will lose a lot of bottom end torque by going too big with the pipe. You certainly don't need anywhere near 4" pipe.

Check this out...
rps20190630_214100_695.jpg

A stock 6.2L puts out a rated 403 HP.... 2 1/2" pipe is plenty big for the Y-pipes.

When I installed my shorty headers and removed the cats I lost a noticeable amount of bottom end... I went back to the exhaust shop and had them build me a new Y-pipe out of 2 1/4" pipe, dropping down from the 2 1/2" Y-pipe from the factory... this restored my bottom end... I also got rid of that awful factory Y-pipe junction that was mentioned earlier and ran the Y-pipe back a little further than before.
rps20190630_215013_375.jpg
rps20190630_214927.jpg
rps20190630_215137_081.jpg
Followed by 3 feet of muffler and the factory resonator just to tone it down to my liking.

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thought about an esky bumper cover with stock muffler removed and keep the resonators out back or delete the resonators with stock muffler?

Borla is a good gentleman’s exhaust. Quiet for cops and wife. Noise when testosterone kicks in.

Magnaflow is another good one for mellow.

Cheaper option walker quiet flow. Good deep tone also.

esoteric_ast

Reaction score
I have had the Gibson system for about 6 months and its not rusting. Sounds great, but quiets down when easy on the throttle. Granted I'm an nbs, but I can still speak to gibson quality.
Had a Gibson cat back on my 1998 Tahoe that rusted completely out in 4 years. North Carolina. No salt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345