Pics of Belltech spring under vehicle load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all, anyone with NorCal kit have a pic of their rear spring under compression from vehicle weight? Looking to see how compressed the springs are under normal vehicle weight.

Thank you in advanced

OP
OP
D

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the plastic spacer in so I think that is 2" but if I don't use it I feel it would be lower and the rear would sit lower than front.

Or I guess I would put more work load on the shocks to keep the same height and not use the plastic spacer and use the stock rubber seat20191013_170433.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the plastic spacer in so I think that is 2" but if I don't use it I feel it would be lower and the rear would sit lower than front.

The lifted height from the spacer is directly proportional to the height of the spacer. I'm sure the spacer is 1" since Tony's rear kits are advertised as 4"-5" or 5"-6", meaning the coils drop it the larger amount and the spacer picks it back up an inch, reducing your net drop by one inch. This is if you only want 4" or 5" of drop instead of 5" or 6". Measure the front and rear heights- if you wanna bring the rear down an inch, remove the spacer. If the rear is not 1" or more higher than the front, then removing the spacer will make the rear lower. It's all straightforward.

Or I guess I would put more work load on the shocks to keep the same height and not use the plastic spacer and use the stock rubber seat

Not sure what you mean by this.

OP
OP
D

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by this

Without back filling the details behind my request for pics, I have a chattering noise coming from the rear. I have been playing with the ride height by adjusting the sensors.When I set the sensor to the same ride height as stock the chatter is increased. When I drop it so their is more weight on the springs/less on the shocks then the chatter is decreased (not eliminated).

I noticed the springs on coil #3-5 are touching and the only thing I can think of is that the coils are rubbing when i go over bumps and could be creating the chattering noise.

I am going to play with the idea of removing the plastic spacer allowing the spring to decompress a little and while keeping the same ride height would require more support from the shock and hopefully allowing the spring's coil to not sit on top of each other and maybe eliminate the chattering.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Without back filling the details behind my request for pics, I have a chattering noise coming from the rear. I have been playing with the ride height by adjusting the sensors.When I set the sensor to the same ride height as stock the chatter is increased. When I drop it so their is more weight on the springs/less on the shocks then the chatter is decreased (not eliminated).

I noticed the springs on coil #3-5 are touching and the only thing I can think of is that the coils are rubbing when i go over bumps and could be creating the chattering noise.

I am going to play with the idea of removing the plastic spacer allowing the spring to decompress a little and while keeping the same ride height would require more support from the shock and hopefully allowing the spring's coil to not sit on top of each other and maybe eliminate the chattering.

I'm tracking now.

Those drop coils are supposed to have the 3 "dead" coils. They're drop coils for a Trailblazer, so they drop the Tahoe so much because they're technically overloaded.

To make sure I'm following your troubleshooting: You want to remove that spacer, which would drop the rear 1", but not adjusting the sensor links would make the ALC pick it back up 1"(in addition to whatever it picks up now). This would net no change in it's current rear height but would let the coil decompress a little more for troubleshooting the noise.

I'm sure you have already, but you made sure all the bolts back there were tight, and they were torqued with the weight on the axle, yeah?

OP
OP
D

Dearmosd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those drop coils are supposed to have the 3 "dead" coils. They're drop coils for a Trailblazer, so they drop the Tahoe so much because they're technically overloaded.

This makes total sense then if this is valid info and validates the three coils I was questioning.

To make sure I'm following your troubleshooting: You want to remove that spacer, which would drop the rear 1", but not adjusting the sensor links would make the ALC pick it back up 1"(in addition to whatever it picks up now). This would net no change in it's current rear height but would let the coil decompress a little more for troubleshooting the noise.

Correct, this is my thought but not 100% sure if its a logical thought. I know when I load the rear end with weight the shock pump up to regain height to the desired sensor location and the noise is reduced. Not sure to contribute the noise reduction to the shocks or the springs.

When I put the stock parts back on the noise is gone so the only change I could contribute the noise to was the springs hence my current thoughts on putting more load/work on the shocks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505