Pete's (Now Nate's) 2003 Denali Budget Build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Finally got my new plates in the mail. A little double meaning. Obviously, the truck is dropped. Also, I usually don't do shameless plugs but in this case I'll make an exception. My band, for which @Sevenevez has done some sweet artwork (thanks, Pete!), is called Dropped Once. *cough* Available on apple music, Amazon, spotify, and pretty much anywhere else you'd listen to music *cough*... lol

I'm not sure I can bring myself to ruin the front with a plate, so I think I may push my luck without it... for the time being, at least. I'm probably breaking tint laws here, too, anyways!

20190730_202028.jpg

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got my new plates in the mail. A little double meaning. Obviously, the truck is dropped. Also, I usually don't do shameless plugs but in this case I'll make an exception. My band, for which @Sevenevez has done some sweet artwork (thanks, Pete!), is called Dropped Once. *cough* Available on apple music, Amazon, spotify, and pretty much anywhere else you'd listen to music *cough*... lol

I'm not sure I can bring myself to ruin the front with a plate, so I think I may push my luck without it... for the time being, at least. I'm probably breaking tint laws here, too, anyways!

View attachment 227918
Nice little personal touch for a plate. I like it! When I got a freshly painted bumper cover on the front I was like “no way in hell im ruining brand new paint for a stupid license plate!” Lol haven’t had it on in a little over a year now and I haven’t been stopped for it. So I’m rolling with it hahaha

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I wish I had mine filled in before I painted it. Too late now :shrug:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score

View attachment 227918
This your band?Screenshot_20190731-051516_YouTube.jpg

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing this sweet transfer of ownership was worth not being on here for so long. Glad this beauty is staying around on TYF and sharing the love. Nice little touches to enhance what was already in place. Man what a sweet ride to pick up and make your neighbors do a double take.

Very cool guys!!

OP
OP
Sevenevez

Sevenevez

Supporting Member
Reaction score

View attachment 227918

NYCE!

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Wow. Been a while on this thread.....sorry, guys!

Been enjoying the little bit of "summer" we got this year with some evening moonroof cruises to/from marching band. Truck is running smooth as ever. Still grinning ear to ear with the 6.0 over 3.73s. Talk about pull. I've laughed at more than my fair share of ricers that eye up the Foose 22s at red lights. When they catch me at the next light, the looks on their faces are priceless. Lol!

But alas, winter is almost upon us, and I have resolved to never let this truck see snow, or more importantly, salt. So with a beautiful 55* autumn day, I figured it was time to start winterizing. Hopefully she sees a couple more miles yet this year. At least needs a final wash, for sure.

I know there is a tiny coolant leak somewhere, because I can smell it occasionally and the level drops ever so slightly. I have been topping her off with water throughout the summer (though not much or often). I am unaware of the ratio now, and the coolant looks green, but dirty. Last thing I want is to freeze the block this winter. So a flush and fill it is.

I gathered 6 gallons of distilled water and 3 gallons of Prestone DexCool. I pulled the drain plug on the radiator, and this is what I got...

20191027_133927.jpg

Gross!

I filled her with the hose, ran both front & rear heat full blast, and got her idling up to temp (used the scanner to be sure). Shut her down and drained again.

I repeated this process about 5 times. It was draining much clearer by then, and I had a rehearsal to get to, so I filled her with the hose once more and made the 30 min trip to rehearsal and the 30 min trip home.

When I got home I drained her again (pretty clean), but this time filled her up with 3 gallons of distilled. Let her run/burp for a good 20-30 minutes. Temps got the highest I saw all day at about 205, and she burped healthily a few times. Temps finally settled at about 194 and stayed there. Opened the drain plug once more and got very clear water.

This time I let her drain until there were not even little drips. This step took long enough to cook and eat dinner (spaghetti) and then sip a beer. At least an hour.

The 2003 manual I downloaded says 19 qts for the 6.0 (although I found many differing specs online). Every other spec I found was less, so I figure basing my math on 19 is good...

19 qts = 4.75 gal /2= 2.375 gal for a 50/50 mix.

I replaced the drain plug and gave her 2 gallons of new Dex (idled for a good 15 minutes, filled to the cold line almost exactly). Poured about 10 oz of STA-BIL into the (fresh) tank of 93, and took her for a 15 minute spin.

I will check the level tomorrow and top her off with a little more DexCool if needed. Should land pretty close to the mark, I think.

I also figured one last touch was warranted before she goes into hibernation, as @Fosscore so generously contributed this to the cause....

20191027_230601.jpg

Thanks, buddy! I know she'll sleep more comfortably with that finally done.

Next I need some rear appliques.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent